Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR and food allergies

(5 Posts)
jerryg Fri 02-Sep-11 10:12:15

Very worried about booking my son in for the MMR as my husband has a nut and egg allergy and I've heard there is an increased risk of reaction when allergies such as these exist n the family. Im told the vaccine is no longer grown on eggs, but i can't find much else about it and my doctor didn't seem to know anything. Does anyone have any info? Hes 16 months now so really should get my act together on this. Thanks!

ragged Fri 02-Sep-11 10:22:10

Not sure you want anecdotes, but anyway: DH has mild allergy to penicillin but all 4 DC have been okay with penicillin-family antibiotics.

CatherinaJTV Fri 02-Sep-11 15:19:14

Jerry, has your son eaten some egg without problems? If yes, you have little to worry about. Just tell the nurse about the family history and ask whether you could stay in the practice for 20 minutes after the shot, just in the very unlikely case of a reaction. All will be well smile

jerryg Fri 02-Sep-11 16:41:37

Thanks both for your replies smile He has accidentally eaten a tiny bit of something containing egg, but i read somewhere that children of families with allergies such as these are predisposed to reactions from the jab, not directly to do with the egg. Hope Im making sense sad Can't even remember where i read it now! Very annoying! Was just wondering if anyone else has read/heard the same.

jerryg Fri 02-Sep-11 16:42:53

Sorry, forgot to say he was fine after eating it so fingers crossed is not allergic like his dad smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now