Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR Vaccine.....third dose needed???

(4 Posts)
Raspberrytorte Wed 31-Aug-11 13:35:00

My daughter was born in the UK and followed Uk vaccine schedule until we moved to Switzerland when she was 14 months old, so she had her first dose at 13 months in the Uk, at her 18 month check up in Switzerland she was then given her 2nd dose as this is the schedule there and in addition there have been outbreaks of measles in Europe over the past few years. We recently returned to the UK and I made sure that she was all up to date with our Paed in Switzerland. My Drs surgery are now hassling me that she needs a third booster.....but all the information I read is that she doesn't....she was over one with both vaccines and they were given 5 months apart so she should be ok? 3 doses in 4 years seems a lot!. I am also told that because my younger son had one dose of MMR at 9 months and then the second dose at 13 months that he will also need another dose at 3 1/2 but this is because one dose was under 1. Can anyone confirm that My little girl does indeed need another dose? I hate the idea of her being unwell and indeed putting others at risk but equally not confident the practice nurse knows what she is talking about and don't want her having something uneccessarily so someone can tick a box!. Thx in advance

Tabitha8 Wed 31-Aug-11 15:32:52

So, the UK doctors are really saying that the Swiss schedule is wrong, aren't they? Hmm. I suspect the schedules differ somewhat from one country to another anyway.
If you are worried, it is possible to have her immunity checked. I think you might have to pay for that.

Blueberties Thu 01-Sep-11 14:18:28

If she needs another dose then the vaccine must be unbelievably ineffective.

The official line is that the further vaccinations are NOT to take account of waning immunity but to catch children in whom the vaccine did not "take" the first time. After two doses the immmunity rate is supposed to be 99 pc or 95pc depending on which official line you read. According to that schedule, your child should not need another vaccination.

Whether you believe any of that is up to you. Personally I don't believe a word of it but that's what the authorities say.

CatherinaJTV Thu 01-Sep-11 14:24:06

Your daughter does not need a third dose.

I would have your son's titers checked before he hits puberty, but with his two MMRs he is likely to be immune, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now