Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu vaccine given to children was not suitable for anyone under twenty

(23 Posts)
Blueberties Mon 08-Aug-11 09:08:58

If I can find a link at some point I will. This is the GSK vaccine found to be linked to narcolepsy. Studies in Finland and Sweden found the connection.

CatherinaJTV Sun 04-Sep-11 17:35:56

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21866560

very interesting...

Blueberties Tue 20-Sep-11 02:13:20

That's superceded by the latest warning from the manufacturers.

Blueberties Tue 20-Sep-11 02:15:24

or should I say from the European regulator

silverfrog Thu 22-Sep-11 22:08:02

so, anyone know which flu vaccine the government are laying in in extra quantities for this winter? news earlier said they were buying in extra stocks so as not to run out this year.

wonder if the non-propaanda campaign in England last year (there was no flu jab cohesive advertising campaign) was anything to do with this...

Mathewbellamyismyman Fri 23-Sep-11 22:51:37

Did you read Catherina's link to a SCIENTIFIC paper???????????????????????????

silverfrog Fri 23-Sep-11 22:55:41

and what bearing would that SCIENTIFIC!!!!!!! paper have on my question?

Sidge Fri 23-Sep-11 22:58:29

silverfrog Pandemrix isn't available any more on the NHS - the seasonal flu vaccine will be offered as usual, and contains the swine flu component as well as three seasonal strains.

silverfrog Fri 23-Sep-11 23:01:34

yes, thanks Sidge. I knew the original pandemrix stuff was out of date.

my question was hastily put earlier. it was more of a "since the swine flu component is incorporated, what further testing has been done to ensure that a repeat will not happen?" (which could have been gathered from my original garbled post earlier)

bumbleymummy Sat 24-Sep-11 09:17:06

Matthew - the European regulator has restricted the use of the vaccines in the under 20s after a thorough investigation. Are you questioning their decision because a MNer has linked to one scientific paper?

cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 08:08:54

That can't be the case as gps are vaccinating all children from 6 months with underlying health conditions with seasonal flu jab so can't be banned for all children as they wouldn't be offering it to those that need it! Unless your referring to pandemerix as others have said that's now not being used! In anycase my daughter had swine flu jab and has been fine 6 million doses were given in the up with 10
Suspected cases I'd say that's extremley low risk anyhow

cockneysparrow1977 Sat 15-Oct-11 08:11:28

I also read somewhere that actually having flu can increase your risk of narcolepsy

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 08:13:47

cockney - yes, we're talking about pandemrix. The swine flu strain has now been included in the seasonal flu vaccine which is the one that is being given to at risk people. There were quite a few cases of narcolepsy reported in different countries and this is the result of the investigation. I don't think the European regulators make these recommendations unless they have valid concerns.

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 08:15:26

FWIW swine flu is pretty low risk too unless you have an underlying health condition.

peggyblackett Sun 16-Oct-11 08:38:43

But if you have an underlying health condition it could be fatal. I have dd vaccinated every year, she is prone to getting dreadful chest infections and I really think that the flu could put her at risk of death if she caught. The risk of becoming narcoleptic is minimal by comparison.

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 09:41:15

Peggy, the seasonal flu vaccine doesn't carry a risk of narcolepsy. If you normally get vaccinated against seasonal flu due to health reasons then fair enough. If you don't normally vaccinate against seasonal flu then I don't really see the point in getting into a tizzy about swine flu. Each to their own though.

peggyblackett Sun 16-Oct-11 09:46:42

Bumbley, some of us get in a tizz about flu (all varieties) as our children could die from it. I therefore find these sorts of threads unhelpful.

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 10:04:54

Peggy - Did you miss this bit in my last post?

If you normally get vaccinated against seasonal flu due to health reasons then fair enough.

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 10:08:41

As for these types of thread not being helpful - would you prefer not to know if risks/side effects have been identified in vaccines? Surely you need that information to help you make an informed decision about risks v benefits? Not that it is relevant in this particular case because we are talking about the vaccine that was used in the pandemic, not the seasonal vaccine.

peggyblackett Sun 16-Oct-11 10:10:42

biscuit

bumbleymummy Sun 16-Oct-11 16:27:45

hmm

lucybrad Mon 17-Oct-11 17:06:57

yeah... like why would anyone get in a 'tizzy' over something that you can pick up from a door handle and can kill perfectly healthy children hmm. As I have said many times before, if you ask any of the parents that lost their healthy or 'non healthy' children in the previous few years to flu, if they wished they had the jab... I wonder what the answer would be.

bumbleymummy Tue 18-Oct-11 01:23:23

Lucy, quite a few things can kill perfectly healthy people but people don't worry about them as much as they do SF - probably because every case isn't over reported by the media. SF mainly killed those in the at risk groups and it killed fewer people than seasonal flu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now