Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR booster at 15 months?

(9 Posts)
StillANovice Wed 03-Aug-11 12:22:49

As far as I can tell the boosters are normally given at just over 3 years old however my area (Lewisham PCT) have been giving the boosters 3 months after the initial jabs since an outbreak of measles in 2008. I can't find anything that shows this is proven as safe - anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts?

mrspear Wed 03-Aug-11 12:27:48

Hi it is the same in Bromley; i was also told that it was so children were fully protected against measles. The only thing i noticed was that he was unwell when he had all those jabs at the 12 months. If i had another child i would insist they separate them.

Catslikehats Wed 03-Aug-11 12:30:39

Same for my DC2 - we were in Surrey. We went ahead with it back in 2008 - realise it is of little help but no issue for us and I woul be happy to do the same with DC4

StillANovice Wed 03-Aug-11 13:10:55

Thanks both for the feedback - I'm in two minds as he didn't seem to have any major problems with the 1st jab and at least then it's done but if there isn't a pressing need why not wait a little longer?
It's a lot of help - the more I hear there are no issues the easier it'll be to make a decision!

LIZS Wed 03-Aug-11 13:13:18

This standard in parts of Europe. dd (9) had her second one about 6 months after first.

StillANovice Wed 03-Aug-11 13:26:19

Thanks LIZS - assuming then that dd was 13 and 19 ish months when she had them?

LIZS Wed 03-Aug-11 13:53:39

First was just before her first b'day, second was at 18 months ish. Unwell after first but not second.

Tabitha8 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:04:50

Most children are protected after the first dose, so don't need the second. I think there is a blood test that you can pay for?

StillANovice Wed 03-Aug-11 14:17:01

Thanks for confirming LIZS
Had heard about testing, one of the reasons I'm verging towards waiting a bit before giving him the booster - needles are still involved but potentially less side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now