Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Early MMR jab at four months - reassure me?

(15 Posts)
Loobyloo1902 Mon 01-Aug-11 12:07:12

I took my 4mo DD to the GP this morning because we spent Friday afternoon with a poor wee little boy who's now been diagnosed as having measles.

The NHS website says that at 4mo, they should have an immune booster but my GP suggested she could just go straight for the MMR today (which I did).

Now I'm home, I'm ever so slightly worried that I might have done the wrong thing in letting her have it so early. Anyone want to reassure me?! Guessing it's too late to suck the vaccine out of her leg.....

bumbleymummy Tue 02-Aug-11 11:05:43

I'm surprised she was given it tbh. I thought it wasn't really given before 6 months because it isn't effective due to interference from maternal antibodies. How old was the boy you were with?

Loobyloo1902 Tue 02-Aug-11 22:06:08

He's 14mo and just had his MMR a month ago.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 02-Aug-11 22:11:39

What?

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 02-Aug-11 22:12:07

Sorry, ignore me. Misread.

LawrieMarlow Tue 02-Aug-11 22:13:21

I'm a bit confused. Is your DD 4 months or 14 months?

PirateDinosaur Tue 02-Aug-11 22:39:20

Her DD is 4 months, as per thread title and OP. The boy who had measles is 14 months ("How old was the boy you were with?" / "He's 14mo")

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 22:42:09

I always assumed it was highly ineffective at such a young age. It's still not as effective at 13mo as it could be at say 18mo.

nicky1968 Wed 03-Aug-11 11:58:46

So the boy that has measles was vaccinated against it a month ago?

Tabitha8 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:03:09

Evidently, that is what happened. He had his MMR but caught measles anyway.

tulip27 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:06:40

one mmr doesn't offer complete immunity that is why they are revaccinated at 3.5 years with a second mmr.

pooka Wed 03-Aug-11 14:09:31

Only now they do the first at 12 months and second at 14 months (round here at least - because only having first not as effective, and there have been outbreaks). Also I know quite a few people who were travelling to France (big outbreak) and who had their younger children vaccinated (younger than 12 months) and then the second jab too.

bumbleymummy Wed 03-Aug-11 16:05:01

Yes, during epidemics it can be offered to children younger than 12 months but not under 6 months. I'm not even sure it has been tested on that group tbh. I'd be a bit annoyed with my doctor.

Loobyloo1902 Wed 03-Aug-11 17:30:26

That's what I read on the BUPA website (that the MMR was for babies over 6mo) so I'm not sure why she was given it and not the immunity booster.

My little one has a hacking cough and a big case of the snuffles now so I'm taking her back to the GP tonight for some reassurance. It could be totally unrelated but last night, I was hovering over the phone, wondering whether to call an exorcist she was in such a state.

Hmmmm... thanks for all the replies, going to give her another cuddle.

Tabitha8 Thu 04-Aug-11 18:55:47

From the NHS website
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/MMR/Pages/When-should-it-be-done.aspx
Children are given a booster dose before they start school (usually between three and five years of age). Between 5 and 10% of children are not fully immune after the first dose. The booster gives increased protection, and less than 1% of children remain at risk after it.

So, the majority of children are protected after only one dose. The second dose is to pick up those who were not fully protected after the first. Even then, a few will still not be immune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now