Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I wonder if we should expect the hepatitis vaccine to be added to the UK schedule.....

(11 Posts)
bumbleymummy Thu 28-Jul-11 08:46:37

Here

Tabitha8 Thu 28-Jul-11 18:01:05

Simple answer = yes, it will be added at some point. I'm surprised it isn't there already.

DBennett Thu 28-Jul-11 22:35:51

I would hope so.

bumbleymummy Thu 28-Jul-11 22:46:43

Why doesn't that surprise me DB smile of course we should vaccinate all children against hepatitis just in case they grow up to be drug users... hmm

Sidge Thu 28-Jul-11 22:51:09

I don't think it will any time soon.

It's already given selectively to babies at risk but I can't see it being added to the routine schedule imminently.

bumbleymummy Thu 28-Jul-11 22:55:19

Before someone jumps on me I know that needles aren't the only way to contract hepatitis!

ragged Fri 29-Jul-11 16:04:03

Wouldn't it make more sense to screen mothers for HepB & immunise selectively?

The article talks at length about dangers of HepC (generally considered the worst and most dangerous strain, my drug user brother has lived with it and a plethora of other health problems for last 20 yrs) but omits the fact that there's no vaccine for HepC. HepB is the only one they can vaccinate for.

ragged Fri 29-Jul-11 16:04:30

oops, sorry, didn't read Sidge's note about selective vacc already happening.

DBennett Sat 30-Jul-11 01:00:50

@ragged

My understanding is that there is also a vaccine against Hep. A.

ragged Sat 30-Jul-11 07:57:25

That's good to hear. Detailed discussion about why so hard to develop a vaccine for HepC (which is supposed to be the very dangerous one, but then like I said, even people already in very bad health sometimes manage to live with HepC for decades).

Sidge Sat 30-Jul-11 14:30:25

We give Hep A primarily for travel health, and to certain occupational groups eg sewage/water plant workers, people working with hazardous waste etc.

Hep B is given for travel purposes as well as to those with occupational risk (the above plus health workers, dentists, etc) and those at social risk ie partners of IV drug users, sex workers, babies born to mums at risk of Hep B.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now