Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR booster - are the side effects similar to the initial MMR?

(12 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Tue 05-Jul-11 09:07:58

ds1 booked for his MMR booster on Thurs. I recall that after his first MMR he was unwell on and off for a few weeks afterwards, with temperature/mild versions of the MMR components. given that, is it likely to be the same again? does anyone know the timescale? <futile worrying about temperature coinciding with holiday>

CatherinaJTV Tue 05-Jul-11 09:15:54

probably not, since if he responded to the first MMR like that, he is likely to have immunity and "kill" the viruses after the first couple of rounds of replication.

Playdohinthewashingmachine Tue 05-Jul-11 09:28:59

None of my three have reacted to the second dose. Bit of a sore arm on the tetanus side for 24 hours and that was it.

Ds2 had his a couple of weeks ago, and the nurse did say that if he had a reaction it would be because the intitial one hadn't worked much and therefore he really needed the second lot!

MissTinaTeaspoon Tue 05-Jul-11 09:31:06

Dd had hers last month, no side effects at all. She had a rash following the first dose so I think she was probably already immune from that as others have said smile

MamaChocoholic Tue 05-Jul-11 09:55:24

ds1 had a rash after the first one too. good to know we're likely to avoid the side effects this time round smile thanks.

Tabitha8 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:48:28

Catherina
I hate to ask this question on this thread, but can't help myself. If a child has immunity from dose 1 of the MMR, why do they need dose 2?

CatherinaJTV Tue 05-Jul-11 16:56:08

Tabitha,

not all kids do. But a rash could indicate immunity to measles or rubella and there is a good chance (5% for measles, 15% or so for mumps) that the kid is not immune, despite a reaction to one of the other components. I guess the second shot is easier/cheaper than to test every kid for immunity after the first shot. But some parents do, and I think that is a viable alternative (and they could delay the second MMR until uni/college)

Tabitha8 Wed 06-Jul-11 17:45:20

You'd think that a blood test would be a more sensible and cheaper approach for the NHS, wouldn't you?

CatherinaJTV Thu 07-Jul-11 10:02:25

nope - I think the best approach is to vaccinate all children twice.

Marne Thu 07-Jul-11 10:08:28

My dd2 had a small reaction to the first, i didn't want her to have the 2nd (due to her reacting to all her injections and being diagnosed with ASD), in the end we went through with it and the next day was spent on the childrens ward after a bad reaction (she was fine the day after). I think its quite rare to get a severe reaction (i dont know many who have had any reaction) so don't let my story scare you grin.

PirateDinosaur Thu 07-Jul-11 10:28:04

The NHS stance is that it hasn't been demonstrated that the blood test actually shows whether you have immunity or not, IIRC.

DS had a worrying reaction to the first MMR but none at all to the second.

MissTinaTeaspoon Thu 07-Jul-11 13:31:20

A blood test is more traumatic than an injection - especially if the person taking the blood is inexperienced or has difficulty finding a vein. I would rather my dd have the second jab than have blood taken. It is also cheaper and quicker to give 2 doses than call all children to have their immunity checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now