Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hib

(4 Posts)
hildathebuilder Sun 26-Jun-11 13:04:02

has anyone had a child with hib, even after the vaccines, it seems as if my ds caught hib pneumonia as a secondary infection to a cold, and I understand this is rare and may be a sign on being immunocompromised.

If anyone has any experience of this I'd be grateful given DS spent the week in hosipital having had a cold.

ragged Fri 08-Jul-11 07:14:00

I'm sorry to hear that, DH was nearly hospitalised with HiB pneumonia at age 26. That also seemed to start out as "just a cold". I would imagine that HiB jabs (even with boosters) still only confer 99% immunity, it probably doesn't mean your child is immune-compromised, just in the unlucky 1%. Probably only time will give you the answers you seek. How old is he?

hildathebuilder Mon 11-Jul-11 16:42:41

Thanks for your reply. I had decided no-one had had the experience of this and given up on an answer. My DS is 16 months (but 11 weeks prem) vaccines go by actual age though and he had had all of the jabs....

bumbleymummy Mon 11-Jul-11 16:49:23

hilda, sorry you didn't get many responses. Unfortunately no vaccines are 100% effective so it is possible that your DS was just one who didn't get immunity from the vaccine. I'm glad he has recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now