Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just booked single measles jab at the Childrens Immunisation Centre in Birmingham. Am I doing the right thing?

(29 Posts)
rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 15:14:05

I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing?

Has anyone here used this clinic? How have people got on with the single jabs?

The lady on the phone said they'll do the single rubella jab 6 weeks after the measles jab, then he'll have the single mumps jab 4 months after that.

I feel quite nervous about DS getting any jabs anyway and now I'm feeling all irrational because I've just seen they are the same company that do boob jobs and botox.

worldgonecrazy Tue 21-Jun-11 15:17:11

We did single measles jab here www.drjohnoakley.co.uk

We have always found the service very professional. Do you know where the mumps vaccine is from? I know that many of the proponents of single jabs have had trouble finding a source.

Tabitha8 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:18:56

I didn't think that a single Mumps jab was available anymore?
That's interesting.

ScarlettIsWalking Tue 21-Jun-11 15:22:41

You are getting the mumps jab? Really is it available now ?

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 15:30:11

We've booked the measles one, then I was told he would have the mumps one 4 months after the rubella jab, I was given a price of £100 for the mumps jab so I assume it must be available? She didn't say anything about the source of the mumps vaccine, though I did ask about the measles and she said they get it from India seemingly it is better than the vaccine manufactured in France?

I wish I'd known about Dr John Oakley before. Hmmm. I feel like I've been a bit hasty choosing a clinic. I had to pay for the vaccine up front on my credit card which I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable about.

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 15:38:45

rosebyanothername

I would absolutely demand to see the single vaccine vials, and their sources and expiry dates. Merck is no longer making the singles and you want to make sure that you are not being given some dodgy import. Do not embark on singles if you cannot be sure that you can finish with them, too.

Apart from that, I find singles a phenomenal waste of money, since there is absolutely no indication that 3x1 shot is in any way shape or form safer than 1x3in1. Private clinics are lacing their pockets with your money. And really? You would go for an imported measles vaccine from India rather than for a European MMR? I find that totally irrational (sorry).

Good luck.

worldgonecrazy Tue 21-Jun-11 15:45:54

rosebyanothername can you cancel the appointment and get a refund? I can't sing the praises of Dr. Oakley highly enough. He was the only health professional I found who would talk rationally about vaccinations after my GP told me my daughter would die if she wasn't vaccinated, and even advised me which ones to get singly on the NHS. I felt a lot better after chatting through a bespoke vaccine schedule with him.

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 15:56:51

I think I am going to cancel the appointment.

About the mumps vaccine, I just asked the lady and she said she can't tell me the manufacturer because they've signed a confidentiality agreement hmm but it will be available in October.

She also said the measles vaccine they use is manufactured by the Serum Institute of India which is highly regarded and makes lots of other vaccines that we use in this country.

I'm going to give Dr Oakley a call.

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 16:00:39

she can't tell me the manufacturer because they've signed a confidentiality agreement shock

cancel

GrimmaTheNome Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:16

hmm indeed.

If you've made up your mind to go through the single vaccines palaver for whatever reason, I don't suppose you'll consider the boring but undodgy alternative and go to your GP for MMR?

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:26

I was a bit alarmed when she said that actually

feckwit Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:53

Honestly, I was nervous when all mine had the mmr (totally irrationally) but it was fine and it's a few secs and then over whereas 3 jabs means 3 nervous times!

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 16:08:27

GimmerTheNome I've read too much on here and elsewhere in the past about the MMR and autism, I know it's all pretty much anecdotal with no solid science behind it but still, I'm not comfortable with it. Particularly since DS has a few things 'wrong' with him that have been associated with autism. He's doing so well at the moment, I don't want to push my luck.

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 16:11:00

rosebyanothername - what would it take to "unscare" you?

ChristinedePizan Tue 21-Jun-11 16:19:32

I posted on this thread but any clinic that tells you that they are able to provide you with the single mumps vaccine is lying. So either you accept that you are only going to immunise your child against rubella and measles, or you have the MMR. As you have a boy, I think it's hugely irresponsible not to inoculate him against mumps (and I am someone who tried to do singles but have ended up with MMR)

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 16:21:53

And have the MMR you mean? I don't know what would unscare me, nothing could I don't think. I can't get past all the countless posts on here that I've read from mothers who have had perfect babies then MMR then their babies have changed practically overnight.

I think if DS didn't have the things he has (ventriculomegaly, agenesis of the corpus callosum, IUGR, extremely long ring fingers -I know you are all probably now thinking I'm some fruitcake of a paranoid mother but these things have been associated with an elevated risk of autism) then I probably would have gone for the MMR.

In our case though, I really would rather go the single vaccine route, my problem is finding someone reputable to do the jabs.

rosebyanothername Tue 21-Jun-11 16:23:43

Thanks ChristinedePizan, I have no intention of leaving him unvaccinated against mumps - the clinic I spoke to told me they had a mumps vaccine which now turns out to be untrue

worldgonecrazy Tue 21-Jun-11 16:26:26

I know that some of the advocates of single vaccines were working together to get an import licence for a mumps vaccine so maybe that has happened if the drug is being imported in October? It doesn't explain the confidentiality issue but if you ring Dr. Oakley's surgery they may know more.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 21-Jun-11 16:31:54

He has a FAQ - which I'm sure would have been updated if the situation had changed - at least this guy is honest that he can't vaccinate against mumps.

As to whether its essential... well, I'm old enough to have had mumps and while it did me no damage it bloody well hurt!

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 16:33:41

rosebyanothername - I can totally understand that you are nervous with such a complicated medical history (or story rather) on your hands. How is your son doing in general? Has any sort of genetic assessment been done to see what he has?

I don't think you are going to find anyone who can get you the three shots.

I had two anecdotes that were helpful to me (not that I could claim to ever have been very scared by vaccine stories) - a friend wanted to start vaccinating her toddler, but cancelled the Friday appointment, because they were going to travel the weekend. That weekend, her son came down with his first horrendous bout of eczema (totally unvaccinated). If she had not cancelled, nothing in the World would have convinced her that the vaccines had not triggered the eczema. My husband postponed his flu shot appointment a couple of years ago and came down with a 40 deg C fever the very night of the original appointment. This was his first very high fever in 20 years and it lasted for 4 nights. Again, "even" I would have been convinced that this was vaccine-induced, had he gotten the shot. He did get it without problems the week later (and my friend's son got his vaccines, slowly and selectively after that first appointment). Temporal associations are just so strongly suggestive and I think neither my friend nor I would have made the connection between no vaccine/unusual medical event had we not been involved in the topic anyways.

Not sure you find this helpful...

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 16:35:45

Thanks for the FAQ Grimma - he is definitely wrong about 2. (and I am old enough to know three men who had mumps orchitis and are sterile - I know that three anecdotes don't make data though).

swanker Tue 21-Jun-11 17:05:37

rose- that clinic have a website (utterly dire btw)- where they clearly state the mumps vaccine is unavailable! Though they are trying to source an alternative strain.

All these single vaccines are unlicensed for use in UK though - why is this?

"Are the vaccines licensed in the UK?
Unlicensed medicines are widely used within the NHS throughout the UK. The Chicken pox vaccines are licensed in the UK. The Measles, Rubella and Mumps are not; This means they can only be administered by a doctor."

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 17:21:57

I really wonder about liability here (that said, I got mine a dTaP/IPV that was not licensed for use at their age in the UK, but everywhere else in Europe, because I wanted the pertussis protection for them).

ChristinedePizan Tue 21-Jun-11 17:56:12

I would much rather give any child of mine a licenced MMR than a single mumps vaccine that is illegal worldwide. It's insane to inject your child with something when you don't know what it is.

bubbleymummy Tue 21-Jun-11 18:24:45

Catherina, from the hpa website regarding mumps:

"Despite common belief there is no firm evidence that orchitis causes sterility."

Also worth noting that orchitis is a potential complication in adolescents and adults. Complications from mumps in children are very rare. Over 30% of mumps cases are completely asymptomatic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now