Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

SIngle vaccine clinics- North Wales/North of England

(9 Posts)
KatieMcFlightly Mon 20-Jun-11 21:55:42

Does anyone have any recommendations for a clinic where I can get the single vaccines for Measles, Mumps and RUbella

KatieMcFlightly Tue 21-Jun-11 06:19:03

btt

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 07:56:08

There are no more single M, M and R vaccines - run if someone promises you them.

Tabitha8 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:21:59

I thought a single jab for measles was still available?

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 15:41:39

imported - what about cooling chain and also liability? And what good is a single measles if you cannot protect your child from rubella and mumps with singles? Both would be kind of good before puberty.

Tabitha8 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:53:30

I have a little boy, so why would he need a Rubella jab at all?
As for mumps, surely it would be better if he caught it before puberty?

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 15:59:36

Tabitha8

so he doesn't infect his future wife with rubella during her pregnancy (as happens far too often in Japan where only girls are vaccinated against rubella).
I never find disease "better" than vaccine. But even if mumps were preferable, as most parents are sensible enough to protect their children by vaccination, his chances risk of contracting mumps before puberty are low. What do you do then when he hits puberty non immune?

Tabitha8 Tue 21-Jun-11 16:13:14

Ah, surely that is a reason to halt vaccination for Mumps, isn't it?
If girls get the Rubella jab in Japan, how can their husbands infect them with it?
Sorry, Katie not meaning to turn your thread into another bunfight, so will clear off now. Good luck in your search.

CatherinaJTV Tue 21-Jun-11 16:16:56

Tabitha8

nope, that is a reason to continue to vaccinate with 2xMMR.

As for Japan - leaving 50% of the population unprotected is clearly not the right strategy. Just remember to ask your DIL whether she is immune against rubella before they are thinking babies. Congenital rubella is not nice (I have seen it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now