Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Single mumps vaccine

(2 Posts)
cockneysparrow1977 Tue 14-Jun-11 23:20:29

i know this has probably been done before but u wondered if anyone had any advice /news on the single mumps vaccine? My dd who is now 28 months has had the single measles and rubella vaccines no mumps at all yet. I've called round a fair few places and only managed to cone across one clinic that have told me they are getting the vac, although I'm a little dubious about it initially it was Easter then moved to July and now it's been moved to September, I was told the reason for this was due to an export licence bit the company told me it's being made in the uk by a uk supplier do don't get the export licence especially as they also told me it doesn't need to regulated with the Mhra and as far as I was aware everything even single vaccines had to be regulated with the Mhra? This clinic also told me that they had used the strain of mumps that was pulled off the Market a few years back by the Mhra as it was cultured on dogs sad((( god knows does anyone heard the same I'm really hoping that it's not more false hope for us mums waiting mumps but I'm very weary and wondered if anyone else had heard anything from their clinics on the single mumps situation and opinions on my feedback??? Also u was told by my gp that apparently single jabs and not recognised by the health protection authority, great
CS x

CatherinaJTV Wed 15-Jun-11 09:29:05

really? How can a vaccine from dubious sources with an expired license be better than MMR? Merck's production status can be seen here:

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Order-Vaccines/Pages/supply-status.aspx

Monovalent vaccines no longer available for measles, mumps, rubella -
Based on input from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), professional societies, scientific leaders, and customers, Merck has decided not to resume production of ATTENUVAX® (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), MUMPSVAX® (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), and MERUVAX®II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live). This science-based decision will support vaccination of the largest group of appropriate individuals. Merck will continue to focus necessary resources to ensure that they can help meet current and future global public health needs for their combination measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, M-M-R®II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: