Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

daughter given expired MMR vaccine

(6 Posts)
mrsmoriarty Fri 10-Jun-11 19:56:09

My 3 year old has been given an expired mmr vaccine. I wondered if this has happened to any other parents and if so what happened. The nurse has been in touch with the manufacturer who have said it's not a problem and she can have another without any delay but i can't help thinking that 2 weeks after the expired dose is just a bit too soon. Any comments would be appreciated... smile

Tabitha8 Sat 11-Jun-11 14:56:21

Ask them what they mean by expired. Is there no way it could still be effective?
I've heard of this before. Hopefully, someone will come along and tell you what they did about it.

mrsmoriarty Sat 11-Jun-11 19:51:26

Thanks! I would imagine that although it was an out of date vaccine it would still have some properties that don't stop working exactly on a certain date. It doesn't feel right to give my dd another so soon, even though they're saying it's ok.

CatherinaJTV Mon 13-Jun-11 10:19:40

Hi - I would wait about 4 weeks. The reason being that if there was "life" left in the old MMR, your child's immune system may still be busy with it at the time the new MMR is given. Two weeks is not going to make a big difference (unless you were planning a holiday in France then).

MollysChamber Mon 13-Jun-11 10:25:51

Agree that I would be more comfortable waiting a month or so.

summersanne Sun 03-Jul-11 13:28:27

If this is the fault of the nurse then I would personally make a complaint against her, this should'nt happen if they are doing their job properly, either that or they are trying to save money! Might be worth obtaining the batch number of the expired vaccine just in case it is needed for future reference or problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now