Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Obtaining measles booster while on holiday in France?

(2 Posts)
BettyButterknife Wed 08-Jun-11 08:54:40

DS1 will be 4 next month, had single measles jab at 14 months. We're on holiday in the south of France at the moment for the next week and I've just received a Parentmail letter by email from DS's school warning of the measles outbreak in France/Europe, advising parents to organise vaccinations for their children where necessary.

Weather's not great here, so it's possible we could end up doing various indoor kid-friendly activities - museums, aquariums, soft play etc - where DS will come into contact with other children.

I'm wondering whether to attempt to get a measles booster for him while we're here. Is that even possible? How would I do it?

DS2 will be 1 next month so he is unvaccinated (although has had baby jabs) - is there any sense in getting him done if we get his older brother done here? Just not sure what to think or whether I'm panicking unnecessarily. Help!

RuthChan Wed 08-Jun-11 21:21:30

The second measles vaccination is NOT a booster.
It is apparently to protect the 2-5% of people who do not gain immunity from the disease as a result of the first vaccination.
Therefore, there is a 95% probability that your DS1 is fully protected now.

I'm not sure how that makes you feel about your DS2, but I don't think you really need to panick.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: