Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR for teen - side effects?

(4 Posts)
rachw1 Mon 06-Jun-11 16:20:01

My 14 year old daughter has not had MMR but is going to France in 3 weeks, and with the increase in measles there we thought she should have the injection. I booked her in for the MMR on Wednesday but having read around I'm concerned that there may be side effects that make her feel poorly - which with end of term exams coming up and the trip to France I'm worried about.

Does anyone know if side effects are very common for teenagers with MMR?

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Jun-11 16:39:31

I think side effects can happen at any age. Have you looked them up?

rachw1 Mon 06-Jun-11 16:51:43

Yes and seen mention of mild versions of measles, mumps and rubella! Hence my asking.

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Jun-11 18:17:43

I think there's just as much of a chance of a teenager having a reaction - sorry! They seem to occur from a few days to a few weeks after the vaccine too so bad timing as far as exams etc are concerned unfortunately! sad Whereabouts is she going? I think the main outbreak is in the south of France so maybe you could weigh up the chance of her actually coming into contact with it and see if that helps you make the decision. I think there have been about 6,000 cases out of a population of 60,000,000 so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now