Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR: French measles outbreak Vs auto-immune risk - WWYD?

(19 Posts)
LaTristesse Tue 24-May-11 16:19:05

We're going on holiday to France in a few weeks with DS, 14mo.

I've delayed his MMR until 18mo because we have history of auto-immune diseases in the family, but I've now found out there's a major measles outbreak in France at the mo and I'm worried he'll contract it before he gets his MMR.

WWYD? Bring the MMR forward and run the risk of him inheriting the auto-immune condition or take your chances with the French measles situation?!

quickchat Tue 24-May-11 22:08:47

What is it they used to say 'measles is like our first love/kiss, we all have to go through it' something like that anyway.

It's something our parents, grandparents and great grandparents used to say because everyone literally got it.

Id stick with your first instinct. If your 14 month old is healthy id take the chance as measles used to be a very normal thing for children to go through but for some reason it's became an automatic death sentence.

You know there's a family history there, i personally wouldn't chance it.

winnybella Tue 24-May-11 22:18:06

Yes, but measles could potentially activate these diseases anyway? I don't think anyone can decide for you, tbh. I live in Paris and even though Paris is supposedly very much affected by this outbreak, I didn't get any letter from DS's school yet hmm
My mum has a thyroid disease so auto-immune, but I went ahead with MMR as DD's paed said that she has never seen in her long carrer an adverse reaction to MMR, but has seen lots of horrible measles complications.
How likely is he to get it, though? Will he be mixing with other kids?

winnybella Tue 24-May-11 22:18:34

*career

Northernlurker Tue 24-May-11 22:20:25

I would take the MMR now.

Pagwatch Tue 24-May-11 22:23:26

I am quite lucky. Had measles. All my siblings and cousins had measles.
So i know it is usually a mild illness. So I am not risking it.

LaTristesse Wed 25-May-11 21:04:48

Thanks for the replies ladies. We're going to a wedding near Versailles so yes there will be other children there.
I spoke to my GP today who had never heard of the auto-immune risk so said to get the MMR now. I'm just really confused now with the conflicting advice from healthcare professionals...
Does anyone know of any recommended places to get a single measles jab done? (something else I'm considering...)

Bunbaker Wed 25-May-11 21:10:24

"So i know it is usually a mild illness"

German measles is. Measles isn't. I had measles as a child (pre MMR days) and was very ill. It affected my eyes and I had to have the curtains shut during the day as well. There is a very good reason why there is a vaccination against measles.

mollycuddles Wed 25-May-11 21:12:41

I'm getting dd2 her mmr a couple of weeks early as we are off to France too. Measles can be nasty. I really wouldn't risk it.

LaTristesse Thu 26-May-11 21:30:23

Have booked him in for single measles tomorrow. Thanks for the replies everyone...

Gooseberrybushes Thu 02-Jun-11 13:30:29

"Yes, but measles could potentially activate these diseases anyway?"

no, I think there's evidence that measles protects against auto-immune disease

Gooseberrybushes Thu 02-Jun-11 13:31:16

"I spoke to my GP today who had never heard of the auto-immune risk so said to get the MMR now."

Good Lord. How depressing.

exoticfruits Thu 02-Jun-11 16:41:14

It's something our parents, grandparents and great grandparents used to say because everyone literally got it.

It wasn't something they took lightly-they knew that risks involved and they all knew people who had had complications, as well as those who had it mildly.
I would talk to your doctor and go with his/her opinion.

Gooseberrybushes Thu 02-Jun-11 21:11:33

I must admit a doctor who has "never heard of" the auto-immune issues around vaccination isn't very well informed. They've been around more than twenty years.

carltonhouse Thu 02-Jun-11 21:30:54

Gooseberrybushes (or anyone), can you give me any links to good info re auto-immune issues and vaccination, please?

We have serious auto-immune issues in the family, and I too have been appalled at the blank looks you get from some health professionals on this.

I've never heard of measles itself triggering an auto-immune illness. I understood that having the measles would strengthen the system against auto-immune conditions.

Gooseberrybushes Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:40

I've posted them on other threads but don't have them to hand, but will have a dig.

I think there are quite a few parents here who have similar issues, auto immune issues that affect vaccination.

silverfrog Thu 02-Jun-11 22:04:14

wrt measles and auto immune - there are links with crohn's, I believe.

wrt auto immune disease and vaccines in general, I would suggest talking to someone who willlisten - maybe try to book a consult with Richard Halvorsen? he does breifly go into it in his book, as well.

carltonhouse Thu 02-Jun-11 22:47:10

Thanks, Gooseberrybushes, have not seen your other threads. Very grateful for the digging. smile

Emsyboo Mon 27-Jun-11 12:54:00

I would be careful Mealses isn't mild there have been less serious side effects and deaths since vaccines were introduced but there is always a risk. Our grandparents didn't take it mildly as there parents and possibly their generation saw deaths from Measles as common and was considered the pox rather than small pox at one point.
However if anyone has valid reasons not to vaccinate you are right to look into it would be interested to see the research if @gooseberrybushes can find it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now