Advanced search

Measles epidemic in France, holiday soon. Early MMR???

(42 Posts)
PumpkinM Tue 24-May-11 15:11:25

In off to France next week with my DD who will be 10.5 months. I've heard that there is a measles epidemic there at the moment, so called NHS Direct re: making sure she is safe. They suggested that she has her MMR before we go.

Has anyone experience of giving the MMR early? Is she likely to have any adverse reactions?

Should we do it? Or wait and risk the measles whilst on holiday?

Gooseberrybushes Tue 24-May-11 15:14:35

there is no measles epidemic, there is an outbreak

how much contact will she have with people outside your family?

ScarlettWalking Tue 24-May-11 15:14:51

Where did you hear of the epedemic?

PumpkinM Tue 24-May-11 15:20:13

It was mentioned on Radio 4 last week (my mother heard it and phoned me in a panic) and is on the BBC website:
which says there is an outbreak in Europe but epidemic in France.

PumpkinM Tue 24-May-11 20:18:42

Also, has anyone got any experience of measlesvaccines for adults? I wasn't vaccinated as a child.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 24-May-11 20:21:47

I was wondering that PumpkinM - and also whether I need it. I had measles as a child (remember it well it was horrid) and I don't think I had the jab because of that. But I was offered the MMR during pregnancy and said no (because I was pregnant) but apparently it's very routine in adulthood.

PumpkinM Tue 24-May-11 20:50:43

I think, whomovedmychocolate, that if you have had measles, you should be immune, so don't need the jab.

I'm still worried about giving my DD the MMR at 10.5 months. Anyone?? Should I leave it and risk the epidemic in France??

whomovedmychocolate Tue 24-May-11 21:09:33

I would give it TBH. Simply because in other countries it's given earlier and also she's more at risk if she's under one.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 24-May-11 21:10:06

More at risk of a bad outcome/ long term damage, than an older child as I understand it.

Gooseberrybushes Wed 25-May-11 01:03:54

I wouldn't give it TBH. Your dc is unlikely to be away from you and mixing, and she's more at risk if she's under one.

snicklesneeze Wed 25-May-11 20:16:13

The recommendation would be that she should have it. However as children under one often don't make a good response to the vaccine this would be an additional one - so she would still need the two given at the normal time.

Gooseberrybushes Wed 25-May-11 20:29:20

Yeah I wouldn't do that tbh in a million years.

ScarlettWalking Wed 25-May-11 20:52:22

No I wouldn't do it personally. She is v unlikely to be mixing at such a young age - you won't be going to playcentres etc.

wickedfairy Fri 27-May-11 08:50:25

DD is almost 10 months and is booked in to have her MMR today - DS is 4.5yo and had his - she won't be mixing but I suppose he will and we are in France for 1 months on a campsite popular with young families. I am getting DD done, but it is obviously up to the individual.

mum2twoloudbabies Fri 27-May-11 11:50:39

my instinct is to vaccinate ds 7mo before we go for the same reason as wickedfairy extended visit, lots of young families and an older sibling. Just waiting to speak to the nurse about the pros and cons perhaps you could speak to your practice nurse.

Moulesfrites Fri 27-May-11 11:58:53

We are going when my ds is 5mo - would they even vaccinate that young? We are going to a remote farmhouse shoe will not be mixing with kids at all really. Is there anything I could do to lessen ds's chances of getting it?

wickedfairy Fri 27-May-11 12:44:40

I was told by NHS direct that under 6 months of age, they still have residual immunity from the mother. Maybe ask for a phone appt with the immunisation nurse (who will be more up to date than the general GP on this subject) to discuss it further....

MmeLindor. Fri 27-May-11 12:47:35

It depends where you are going. There are areas where the outbreaks are more serious than others. Over the border from us in Haute Savoie it is pretty serious.

Even if you are not mixing with other children, you will be going to the supermarket, boulangerie etc. There is still a risk.

mousymouse Fri 27-May-11 12:51:09

you can have the jab early for your child but it then needs to be done by the gp as the nurses have to stick to the immunisation plan.
I had the jab at 20, as I was going to the US to work with children and it one of the requirements. no side effects as far as I remember.

MmeLindor. Fri 27-May-11 12:53:02

is the latest info on reported cases in France (although they estimate that there are more as not all cases are being reported)

MmeLindor. Fri 27-May-11 12:53:36

sorry. Link here

silverfrog Fri 27-May-11 12:55:48

what's the vaccination schedule in France (and other European countries) - just out of interest.

and uptake rates? does anyone know?

frakyouveryverymuch Fri 27-May-11 12:57:13

Would you consider having a single vaccine done?

I am horribly worried about DS and hoping the antibodies from my milk will protect him. If it's still going on when he hits 6mo I will request a single vaccine.

MmeLindor. Fri 27-May-11 13:04:40

If I am reading this correctly then I think that part of the problem is the low uptake of the 2nd jab.

frakyouveryverymuch Fri 27-May-11 13:10:39

Uptake should be nearly 100% as it's a required vaccine for collective care in France however there are 'homeopathic' vaccines...

According to DS's health record: MMR scheduled at 9months for those in childcare, 12-15 months for the first dose if not. Option for single measles at 9months then 2 x MMR later if preferred.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: