Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR, Please help

(74 Posts)
griphook Tue 22-Mar-11 21:28:29

Hi, was just reading another thead about how many jabs ds will be given very soon.

I've been dreading of giving Ds his MMR pretty much since he was born, and now the time is very near. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the mumps part of the MMR singualry anymore, I been searching for a long time and know one seems to have it. My understanding is only one company made it and they have since stoped production, is this correct?? or does anyone know of any where they may have all three.

bubbleymummy Tue 22-Mar-11 21:48:18

The single mumps doesn't seem to be available at the minute but have you read up about mumps itself? It is usually a very mild illness in childhood with a very low risk of any complications. You can read about it on the NHS website. Some people who have chosen the singles route delay the mumps vaccine until puberty anyway to give their children the chance to catch it naturally. Some parents of girls don't give it at all. Read about it and see how you feel. If you have any questions/worries just ask

griphook Tue 22-Mar-11 22:03:24

thanks for your reply, I have thought about just giving ds just the m and r and if he was girl i would not worry about the mumps part at all, but my family seems to be plagued with infertility issues that I feel that I by not giving him the mumps vaccinaction i'm playing devils advocate with his fertility, or I chance the mmr??? any ideas what happens in other countries in regard to MMR and whether they have the same concerns about reactions

bubbleymummy Wed 23-Mar-11 20:56:29

Griphook - mumps doesn't cause infertility. You can look it up if you don't believe me it can cause orchitis (swelling of the testicles) but the risk of this is higher in adulthood so no need to panic just yet! There is no evidence that orchitis will lead to infertility. hth!

griphook Thu 24-Mar-11 20:29:04

thankyou for your reply, will have a look into that x

Caravaner Thu 30-Jun-11 11:51:43

My son is due to have his mmr and I am concerned. what do other mums do?

illuminasam Thu 30-Jun-11 12:27:38

I also have a DS that is due. I'm not giving him the MMR. I'm happy for him not to have rubella at all. I will check his mumps status when he's hitting his teens. I may give him measles single vaccine now but haven't decided 100%.

CatherinaJTV Thu 30-Jun-11 14:23:43

Caravaner,

I gave both of mine the MMR and my daughter had no problems whatsoever, the little one had a rash in the nape of his neck for about a week starting about a week after the MMR and slightly swollen glands on his neck. Didn't bother him. No reactions to the second MMR.

I am just glad that they have both had their 2xMMR and they will not come down with M, M or R, nor will they infect someone else. I very strongly feel that parents who are not vaccinating their children against M, M and R are turning their kids into public health threats (here one unvaccinated child infected a handful and killed two (well, technically, they are still dying, SSPE takes a while): justthevax.blogspot.com/2009/04/medical-care-for-unvaccinated-children.html) on top of the dangers to the unvaccinated child. This year is particularly bad for measles, summer holidays are coming, not the time to be afraid of the vaccine over the disease.

illuminasam Thu 30-Jun-11 15:30:27

Caravaner,

I feel equally as strongly that it is an individual's right to choose and be responsible for the vaccination route they choose for their child and no parent should be made to feel guilty for the choice they have made.

CatherinaJTV Thu 30-Jun-11 16:06:02

I can tell you that the parents of that preteen who caused the very slow demise of two children with their decision, never giving the parents of those two babies a choice, feel very very guilty (I talked to Micha's uncle and mum) and caught their son up on all vaccines before they even knew how catastrophic their non-vaccine decision has ended.

I would maintain that you cannot responsibly decide not to vaccinate against M, M and R, because you cannot control a situation like the above (unless you live in a bubble or on a deserted island). It is not like not buckling your child up, where you are only risking their health, it is like drink driving, where you are risking your own family's health and everyone else's.

silverfrog Thu 30-Jun-11 16:11:05

but what about the situation where vaccinating brings with it an unacceptably high risk of side effects?

am I still supposed to feel guilty then?

dd2 is unvaccinated.

she will stay that way.

thereis nothing I can be told, at this point in time, to persuade me otherwise, given her medical history.

so, how does your statement : I would maintain that you cannot responsibly decide not to vaccinate against M, M and R, stack up against that?

the only responsible decision I can make, for dd2, is to not vaccinate her. and I am not the only person in this position.

bigscarymum Thu 30-Jun-11 16:18:45

What side effects? I presume you aren't talking about the completely discredited stuff From Andrew Wakefield? You may have other reasons for not vaccinating - I can't think of any myself, but please don't let it be the Andrew Wakefield stuff.

illuminasam Thu 30-Jun-11 16:19:01

And that is where you and I differ.

The fact remains: in the UK, thankfully, it is an individual's right to choose and long may it be that way. Parents need to be aware of both sides of the debate and make their own choice.

Don't feel press-ganged into it by either side. There are positives and negatives on both sides and that is why the debate exists. It is NOT a clear cut issue (at least for some of us who sit at the less extreme areas of the axis). The decision that is right for you and your child may be completely wrong for someone else. Whatever YOU feel comfortable with - whatever the consequences - that is the right decision for you.

Guilt is an emotion I have little time for.

illuminasam Thu 30-Jun-11 16:19:42

First sentence to Catherina obv.

silverfrog Thu 30-Jun-11 16:48:05

I think just about everyone who reads the vaccination topic with any regularity must know my views on Wakefield by now.

please re-read my post. it will tell you all you need to know re: why dd2 is unvaccinated.

ilovesprouts Thu 30-Jun-11 16:50:41

my grandsons due for his mmr but his mums says hes not having it yet ,

ajmama Thu 30-Jun-11 16:56:45

How can you individuals who choose not to vaccinate live with yourselves if your DC catch measles and pass it on to babies who are too young for the MMR? I also have an adult colleague who caught measles and spent 2 weeks in intensive care potentially leaving 3 young children without a father!
I am not looking for a bunfight I would just like to know if you have any consideration for others?

Tabitha8 Thu 30-Jun-11 16:59:24

Catherina
I would be interested to read that link, but couldn't make it work.

silverfrog Thu 30-Jun-11 16:59:30

ajmama - am I supposed to consider others over and above my own daughter's health?

it is not advised to vaccinate dd2. at all. she has never had a single jab.

as such, I am acutely aware of the slightest change in temperament in her which might mean she is getting ill. I do not send her to school if she is under the weather.

I do my utmost to ensure she doesn't pass anythign on to anyone else.

but no, I will not feel guilty if she gets measles. I will worry, of course. but what am I supposed ot feel guilty for? protecting her as she is vulnerable? how does that even make sense?

Tabitha8 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:02:59

Ajmama
This for me is the problem with the official stance on the MMR:
My MiL has not had a measles jab and didn't catch it as a child.
I had a single jab and, possibly, am no longer immune.
For how long does the MMR last?
Why are people like me and MiL not being told to get the MMR jab? There must surely be milliions of us around?

hildathebuilder Thu 30-Jun-11 17:06:36

I personally don't believe MMR has the side effects it is thought to for the majority of children. I have just been told that my DS is possibly immunocompromised after he spent a week in hospital, and would have gone to PICU if they had had more space. He was very ill as vaccines may not "take" with him. But he still had his MMR a couple of months ago. In any event it was HIB that seems to have got him despite the vaccines.

Regardless of all of this, and the hysteria this subject almost inevitably leads to I fully respect Silverfrog and others decisions not to vaccinate. They do what they believe is in the best interests of their children. They assess the risks and act accordingly. That may damage "herd immunity" the lack of herd immunity may possibly be a great risk to my DS. That does not mean I believe my DS is more valuable than Silverfrog believes her children are. To imply otherwise is crass and stupid.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 30-Jun-11 17:08:47

I didn't want to give my daughter the mmr- I was very stressed about it to be honest. However, when she was two she was very poorly and was admitted to hospital. The consultant she saw thought she had measles but luckily it wasn't. As soon as she was better she had her mmr and was totally fine. The panic I had when we thought she had measles made me decide that really the mmr was the lesser of two evils. Although I can totally see why others would be reluctant to have it.

ajmama Thu 30-Jun-11 17:16:52

Silverfrog, fair enough if your DD has been medically advised not to be vaccinated. But im afraid I have a huge problem with parents who choose not to vaccinate for no reason. If you were my neighbour, why should my baby be put at risk through you choosing not to vaccinate? Also, measles is more catching during the incubation period when there are often no symptoms, by the time the LO is off colour the damage has been done!

stinkypinky Thu 30-Jun-11 18:01:57

DD1 has had both jabs and did not react in the slightest, DD2 was very poorley after the first one, with a horrendous rash that she is still marked with 4 weeks on, and very high temps. I am guessing as she reacted this badly to the vaccine, had she actually contracted measles it would have been pretty dangerous for her. I would not hesitate to vaccinate any child.

bubbleymummy Thu 30-Jun-11 18:24:37

"had she actually contracted measles it would have been pretty dangerous for her."

How do you know that anymore than you could have known she would have reacted badly to the MMR?

Also, Catherina, your children could still come down with M, M or R even though they have been vaccinated. Vaccines can not guarantee immunity. Also, given that your link and most of your posts are focusing on measles - what is your concern about mumps and rubella.

hilda, we don't have herd immunity to M,M or R in the UK anyway. We never have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now