Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR - Is the booster jab controversial as well?

(20 Posts)
Pinkjenny Thu 03-Mar-11 11:26:17

Now, I always border on the side of neurotic, so for peace of mind, dd had the single measles vaccine, and is due to have her rubella over the next couple of weeks.

She is now at pre-school booster age, and the dr has told me that I would have to take her for her MMR, and then three months later, she would need to have another dose. She is 4 in May, is there any controversy over giving the MMR at this age?

Ds is also due his first MMR now, and he is also scheduled for singles.

Do you ever wish you hadn't started something??

startail Thu 03-Mar-11 12:26:46

MMR - Is the NOT controversial!
There is NO reliable evidence of any harmful effects of MMR. Have a brewnow and winetonight and stop worrying.
OK parenthood is one long worry (teenage DD just starting to go out by herself argh)BUT MMR is not something to worry about, measles and the consequences of Rubella on your grand children might be.

ArthurPewty Thu 03-Mar-11 12:32:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catrinm Thu 03-Mar-11 12:44:55

Okay Leonie. There is no reliable and scientific evidence about the MMR see seeker and Strata's excellent posts for links to evidence

ArthurPewty Thu 03-Mar-11 12:48:02

Pinkjenny Thu 03-Mar-11 12:54:05

OK, so the booster is as controversial as the initial dose despite the increased age of the child?

Catrinm Thu 03-Mar-11 16:44:47

No

ArthurPewty Thu 03-Mar-11 17:03:24

FattyArbuckel Thu 03-Mar-11 17:08:13

Maybe.

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 03-Mar-11 17:16:20

Arf.

FattyArbuckel Thu 03-Mar-11 17:44:19

grin grin grin

silverfrog Thu 03-Mar-11 17:49:39

the mmr booster is the same injection - same dose, etc - as the mmr. it is a repeat jab, really, not a booster as such (to try to catch the shortfall of people who the first jab failed to work on)

there have been cases reported of issues following the mmr given at pre-school age.

just read up on it, and come to a conclusion you are hppy with, for your family.

I am not sure why your doc said your dd would need the booster, then a second one 3 months later - unless he is counting her as unvaxxed thus far? (due to having the singles). surely the mmr pre-school jab is just one jab, ordinarily? (I do not know, since my two are out of schedule)

silverfrog Thu 03-Mar-11 17:51:28

the paper leonie linked to (I linked it on another thread this morning too!) does make interesting reading (so far - am cooking tea, so a little distracted)

StataLover Thu 03-Mar-11 20:46:39

What exactly are you concerned about?

bubbleymummy Thu 03-Mar-11 22:52:54

Pinkjenny, you could always have her immunity checked to see if she needs a booster. You could get the single measles booster if you are still worried about the mmr (the booster is the same vaccine). The doctor is probably recommending the two doses because she would be considered unvaccinated as you had the singles privately. It's a bit silly really.

bubbleymummy Thu 03-Mar-11 22:54:13

Sorry, just to be clear - the mmr booster is the same vaccine as the first mmr that's given.

StataLover Fri 04-Mar-11 11:31:50

Pinkjenny, if you want to know what the overwhelming evidence is about the MMR, go to google scholar scholar.google.co.uk/. That way you avoid all the scaremongering pseudoscience denialist anti-vax movements. All you are getting there is a searchable database of scientific articles.

Work your way down the list and have a look at the abstracts and see what the overwhelming evidence says (anyone can cherrypick something to agree with what they are saying - it's what the overwhelming body of evidence is). Then you can make more of an informed decision.

rightpissedoff Sun 06-Mar-11 15:34:09

Yes, I think it is as controversial. I think what I've heard is less likely to be troublesome is giving the first MMR at the booster age (ie very late). But yes, the booster is the same vaccine and I have definitely read that the second injection can be a fresh challenged which may not be well handled by vulnerable children.

I would read up on it before further decision making.

If you are linked to any epidemiological studies before 2002, which claim to prove there's no link between MMR and autistic disorder, please bear in mind the scientific community accepts that they are weak, and worthless for this purpose.

AHA1979 Sat 04-Jun-11 21:10:21

We have just moved to a new area and the nurse at the surgery we have registered with has now told me that my 19month old needs a booster for mmr. He had his first in jan this year. Bit concerned why he needs this as the old surgery said he wouldn't need any more injections till pre school. Anyone else had this said to them or being told about booster?

bubbleymummy Sat 04-Jun-11 21:14:49

Aha, maybe it is something to do with the measles outbreak in France? There have been a few threads about children being offered their first and/or booster jabs earlier if they are going on holiday. In any case, they can only suggest it to you - you don't have to give it to him if you don't want to smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: