Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu & Seasonal Flu Jabs

(3 Posts)
cmsmith Fri 14-Jan-11 20:45:04

Being (27 weeks) pregnant i was adamant i wasnt going to have the jabs, despite the media pressure, midwife & dr advice i received.

I caved after hearing all the stats for the second time from my nurse so had the jab. Her lasting words of 'its far more risky to not have the jab then to have it' won me and my husband over.

Since then i've come down with a horrible cold. Sneezing, runny nose and a slight cough. I've stayed off work and rested up.

This being my first pregnancy im worried i have jeopardised my health and more importantly our baby, right now my mind is doing over time.

No one seems to have any definitive answers. Is this what being a parent is going to be like ?

Constructive advice only please ....

pozzled Fri 14-Jan-11 20:51:39

I'm not medically trained but as far as I understand it the flu jab is not live so can't have given you flu. The cold you've got is most likely a complete coincidence (it is after all that time of year). And a bad cold won't harm your baby at all.

Yes, being a parent does involve a lot of worry. IMO it does get easier (although DD is only 2 so I know I have a lot still to go through).

cmsmith Fri 14-Jan-11 21:15:29

Thanks for your response. You're probably right it was a coincidence getting the cold, but i've been reading that there is no long term evidence to suggest giving pregnant women the jab is not harmful. They have after all only being adminstering it since last year.

I guess we'll never know the answers either way (or for many years to come) i'll always wonder whether i did the right thing. Right now, i have serious doubts i have and wished i'd listened to my instinct.

But glad to know it does get easier that is in itself a comfort.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: