Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Did anyone not have the MMR booster at age 3?

(19 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 02-Jan-11 22:26:34

DS1 is due to have it but he was quite poorly (ie, the vaccine worked) after his first dose and I question how much the booster is really needed???

He has had a sensitive gut for the past few years and I just want to avoid anything not really really needed if I can help it.

In general we see a clear reaction after all his jabs, hot, moody, bit hyper, off food etc. Not sure this is relevent but thought I would mention it!

HallelujahHeisBorntoMary Sun 02-Jan-11 22:43:38

DD didn't have it. She had a bad reaction to the first one. The first one is supposed to be 90-95% effective I believe, so it depends whether your child is immune or not. You can be tested for immunity.

Bobbiesmum Sun 02-Jan-11 22:45:25

My daughter is 3 and 3 months and until I read this I forgot she even needed it!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 02-Jan-11 22:46:57

Did you test HallelujahHeisBorntoMary? I read 1 in 10 don't get protection from the first dose, but surley a bad reaction shows they reacted? Was your DD ok? I hope so.

Borisismyhousespider Sun 02-Jan-11 22:47:38

Both my dd's had the single jabs, tho dd2 hasn't had the mumps booster as they've stopped producing it (but then I've never had mumps jabs either...)

PeppermintPanda Sun 02-Jan-11 22:48:12

DD1 hasn't had it. She was diagnosed with cancer at the time her MMR booster was due, so all immunisations have been put on hold. We have to rely on everyone else getting their healthy children vaccinated.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 02-Jan-11 22:48:18

I think 3 and 3 months is the age they are called. Don't worry they always track mums down for these things it seems!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 02-Jan-11 22:50:00

PeppermintPanda so sorry to hear that. Can I ask out of interest, would your DD have to have all her vaccinations again once well?

PeppermintPanda Sun 02-Jan-11 22:52:16

I'm not sure about repeating the ones she's already had. She'll certainly need to catch up on the one's she's missed though.

HallelujahHeisBorntoMary Mon 03-Jan-11 09:15:22

Daughter is OK now, she's 11. I've not had her tested to see if she is immune. As for being chased - we kept getting chased, they kept sending us appointments, and I kept cancelling them. In the end, when we moved house, I didn't cancel that last appointment - and do you know what? They marked her down as having had the MMR at that last appointment (when we were on holiday in a foreign country!)

Interestingly enough, DS didn't react to either of the MMRs, and he has Asperger Syndrome!

LadyintheRadiator Mon 03-Jan-11 09:18:51

How do you go about testing for immunity?

I don't want DS to have the booster really as he only had the MMR at 2.5.

fifitot Mon 03-Jan-11 09:22:51

Why don't you talk it through with your doctor. The opinions on vaccines on a message board are wide and varying.

For full immunisation it is recommended that children have the booster before school. I would seek medical advice.

A bad reaction to a vaccine might be preferable to full on measles but that's just my opinion.

HallelujahHeisBorntoMary Mon 03-Jan-11 09:37:14

It depends on the reaction. My daughter was like a zombie for 3 days. Stopped talking, stopped running around - it was the scariest thing I have ever seen. Can you imagine putting a normally lively 2 year old child down and watching her just stand there, not moving, until eventually a silent tear just trickles down her cheek? And then, on the 4th day, she just snapped out of it. I decided a 90-95% chance of being fully immunised was enough. And like I said, even after that, I still had DS immunised...

HallelujahHeisBorntoMary Mon 03-Jan-11 09:39:17

As for testing for immunity, they can have a blood test. I decided to have myself tested before trying to become pregnant, particularly for Rubella.

The other thing I would say is that measles etc has become more common since I went through this with DD, so I'm not even sure if I'd still have refused the booster if I had to decide today.

StarPlayer Mon 03-Jan-11 09:48:41

My son didn't have the booster as he got german measles after his 1st one! He's 8 now and is fine.

phonix Tue 04-Jan-11 19:44:43

Our DD also didn't have the booster at the required age either, instead we had an immunity test done and she turned out to be highly immune to all three.
As far as I know testing can only be done privately. We had our done in Dr Halvorsen's BabyJabs clinic:
http://www.babyjabs.co.uk/antibody_tests.htm

figcake Fri 07-Jan-11 14:51:36

No - one dose is enough in my humble opinion. GPs still bring it up every time I am there (Youngest is now 5!). If they were so concerned surely they would have funded a basic immunity test (request was flatly refused by them).

lady007pink Sun 09-Jan-11 14:45:00

My children did not get their first injection until they were 4yo. My DS is 9 and has only just had his 2nd dose, on the same day as DD1 aged 8yo. My DD2 just had her first injection.

lady007pink Sun 09-Jan-11 14:45:45

DD2 is 4yo, BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now