Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone participated in a vaccine research study?

(8 Posts)
Didster Sat 11-Dec-10 18:04:56

Hello
I've been invited to get involved with a vaccine study to do with MenC. It means that the researchers do the vaccines for two years rather than going to your GP. They come to your house and the only thing they do differently is the MenC jab but all the others are the same. Spoke to my GP who said it was fine but just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and whether it all went ok.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Dec-10 18:06:28

Yes I have with both DC and with DD with the follow up study too. It was fine. Great actually.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Dec-10 18:07:14

When they get old enough to notice, they bring a play assistant to distract them while they get the jabs. The diaries are easy to complete and having the jabs at home is much better than having to schlepp to the GP surgery IMHO.

Didster Sat 11-Dec-10 18:16:59

Thanks for reply. I think I will probably end up doing it in the name of research and also will be nice that they come to you.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Dec-10 19:42:48

You also get 24 hour access to a paediatrician in the period post immunisation. If you are just going to the GP you don't get that. Is it the OMV vaccine trial you are looking at? If so it's stage 3 and has been tested already on hundreds of kids and rolled out in the Netherlands so you can be reassured it's not exactly experimental.

Happy to answer any further questions if it helps

Didster Sat 11-Dec-10 20:47:23

It's for MenC to test whether babies need three separate vaccines for it or can get away with just one. Think in some other countries they only do one vaccine anyway. The only thing that might be distressing for DS is that they have to do lots of blood tests but I guess if they bring an entertainer then that solves that problem! Even my GP said it's probably better care than with the NHS. smile

whomovedmychocolate Sun 12-Dec-10 08:27:11

The blood tests are not that distressing - you get Emla cream to numb the area - it's more distressing for you to have to wrap your child's arm in clingfilm.

Ah you are on a slightly different trial with pretty much no risk whatsoever because it's just the vaccine pattern. Bear in mind though you may end up in the control group which gets the three jabs! But at least they will be at home.

EBDteacher Tue 14-Dec-10 04:34:39

My DS is in that study Didster. It's been absolutely great so far.

They are super organised, always phone in advance to check appointments are still ok and are always on time. The two Drs we've seem so far have been lovely and looked after DS really well.

And you get a free thermometer- what more could you want??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now