Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu jab with Tammiflu

(3 Posts)
OscarandLulu Fri 12-Nov-10 10:11:57

I'm in Germany and was asked by a gd [pregnant] friend whether I wld have the flu jab in pregnancy. I personally wldn't. The flu jab here includes Tamiflu [swine flu]. My pedeatrician here wlnt contemplate having the flu vaccine in her surgery - so if its not ok for my kids then its not ok for my unborn. However winter flu here is pretty severe, my family had it last year and it took months to really shake completely.

Can anyone point to sound balanced UK advice on this? I go with my own instinct and am pro homeopathics etc but that's not everyone's cup of tea, I'd like to be able to point my friend to UK based unbiased medical advice which weighs up the risks either way.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Nov-10 10:16:40

The flu jab this year as recommended by WHO does have the H1N1(pandemic) component, but to be honest this is not really any different from any other year, it usually (always?) has an h1n1 strain in it, just that its a different one this year.

Its not the same as last year when they were offering it as a separate jab, as that had an adjuvant in it in the UK. This years seasonal jab does not have an adjuvant in it.

The reason why pregnant ladies are being offered it in particular is that the pandemic form of h1h1 is particularly nasty in pregnancy.

IWishIWasAFrog Tue 04-Jan-11 23:24:23

Tamiflu is the brand name of the anti-viral drug, oseltamvir, used to treat flu, a viral infection, of which swine flu, H1N1 strain, is one. Just to clarify. For UK advice check the NHS websites through Dr. Google smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now