Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'Meaty' restaurants in Edinburgh

(23 Posts)
Iklboo Thu 22-Oct-09 15:06:06

DH and I are in Edinburgh next week (yay). We've got Friday night dinner sorted and were thinking of going somewhere like a good grill or steak house on the Saturday.

Any recommendations for a not hideously expensive meaty restaurant? We're staying near Murrayfield but have heard taxis aren't prohibitive and public transport is good so anywhere around there to city centre is OK

Thankee kindly

Iklboo Thu 22-Oct-09 15:28:49

Also - utterly stoopid question. How cold can it get in Edinburgh? I'm in Manchester so not exactly tropical. FIL has basically said we'll need thermals but I'm hmm about that as he can be something of a tit

meep Thu 22-Oct-09 15:29:28

I can't think of any designated steak houses. I have googled and found: the sizzling scot!!!! - no idea what it might be like !

But there are also:

First Coastis really good - and is at Haymarket so might even be walkable from where you are

la partenope is an Italian accross the road and most Italians do good steak

The Baillie is a good pub that does nice pub menu and steaks - it is in Stockbridge which is a 5 min stroll down from the centre of town

the dogs is a great restaurant inteh town cente which is hailed for its "meat" and reasonable prices

meep Thu 22-Oct-09 15:30:04

it's cold - especially when the wind blows - but not that much colder than Mancherster grin!

Iklboo Thu 22-Oct-09 15:37:55

Thank you - the sizzling scot and the dogs look really nice and tehe Baile looks good too

I'm bloody starving now grin

pointyhat Thu 22-Oct-09 15:44:18

Buffalo Grill is great but small and ever so popular. It's near Edinburgh Uni-land, you need to book in advance, not hideously expensive at all.

meep Thu 22-Oct-09 15:44:41

so am I! The Baillie is good because you can stay and drink afterwards - it is a basement pub - old style but full of young folk and some good old Edinburgh "characters"! Lots of other pubs in Stockbridge and on teh walk back to town. Wouldn't cost too much in a txi for you both.

to put the cold in perspective I was out pram pushing today in a long sleeve tshirt and chunky cardi and was fine!

apologies for Mancherster - don't know where that came from !

Enjoy!

pointyhat Thu 22-Oct-09 15:45:27

I see there are two of them in edin now

meep Thu 22-Oct-09 15:49:46

forgot about Buffallo grill here there is one in Stockbridge as well as one in Uniland. The Raeburn place one is the Stockbridge one.

Good value for money and lots of steaks

DorotheaPlentighoul Thu 22-Oct-09 15:49:50

There is (or used to be) a Buffalo Grill in Stockbridge, possibly a prettier location than the one near the university (which I do not know). If you go to Stockbridge you could then move along to the Baillie for a drink afterwards -- or the Antiquary, which is also nearby and a good old-skool pub.

You should try the website for The List eating and drinking guide. Loads of info on Edinburgh and Glasgow restaurants sortable by category.

meep Thu 22-Oct-09 15:50:10

cross post pointy!

DorotheaPlentighoul Thu 22-Oct-09 15:50:24

x-post grin

Have fun.

ladysweet Thu 22-Oct-09 15:51:06

If you want a really good steak get a taxi to the Champany Inn

Iklboo Thu 22-Oct-09 15:51:12

You know when Homer Simpson does that slavvery aaaauuuugggghhhhhh noise? That's me that is

Iklboo Thu 22-Oct-09 15:57:27

Thank you ladies - lots of ideas!

nuttysquirrel Thu 22-Oct-09 23:33:38

If in stockbridge the best place, and you will need to pre-book, for a steak is Bells Diner....
www.list.co.uk/place/100473-bells-diner/
Also happens to be across the street from the Baille....grin

doughnutty Thu 22-Oct-09 23:48:43

Mc Kirdy's in Morrison Street, a minute from Haymarket. Quite small so you'd probably have to book but I can honestly say it was the Best.Steak.Ever.

Northernlurker Fri 23-Oct-09 00:30:09

dh and I love the buffalo grill in Stockbridge but since my in laws thoughtlessly moved out of Edinburgh last year who knows when we'll be back? sad

DorotheaPlentighoul Fri 23-Oct-09 09:58:36

Ooh yes, Bells Diner is great for burgers too.

flossie64 Fri 23-Oct-09 10:06:44

I'm off to Edinbrgh in a few weeks too . We have booked Howies and Sushiya for whilst we're there. I have been to Howies in Aberdeen and I fully expect it to be as good there.
They are both at the haymarket end of Edinburgh ,so not too far from Murrayfield. The bus service is really good ,so no travel problems. HTHsmile

Iklboo Fri 23-Oct-09 13:45:53

A week from today we will be in Edinburgh. 7 more sleeps grin

Besom Fri 23-Oct-09 13:57:40

Make sure you've got coat,jumper, gloves, scarf, but don't think you'll be needing your thermal vest.

Hope you enjoy!

Iklboo Mon 02-Nov-09 12:32:46

Ladies - Edinburgh was fabulous. It was so warm & sunny we were walking about in just t-shirts & jeans until Saturday night.
Buffalo Grill was brilliant. Gorgeous steaks cooked exactly how we like them. Yes, it was busy but to me that's a sign of a good restaurant. I'm so glad we booked in advance

My calves are fecking killing me from all the hilly walking we did this weekend. We had a great time and we'll be back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now