Talk

Advanced search

Yorkshire with teenage girls

(59 Posts)
janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 18:41:36

We've booked a couple of nights in a lovely looking boutique hotel in Harrogate for myself, dp and the girls aged 12 and 14. The hotel allows guests to use the Academy Spa - has anybody been? Is it a long way from the centre of town?

Also - any recs for nice places to eat in the evenings in Harrogate? Or any recs of things to do in the day in either Harrogate, York, Leeds or somewhere else? We will be reliant on trains though - no car.

Many thanks.

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 19:57:26

Hopeful bump?

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 19:58:32

dont know the hotel or spa but the turkish baths are a must !!

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 19:59:05

Really? Would the girls be allowed in too?

justaboutautumn Sun 18-Oct-09 19:59:43

Message withdrawn

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:00:46

yes i am pretty sure...

just asked ds what to do for a teen in harrogate and his response was 'go to Leeds'

dd says 'go to Jack Wills ' hmm

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:02:05

They don't like Jack Wills

What's good about Leeds, then? I have only been once - over 20 years ago and just remember grey buildings and sleet!

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:02:52

Harvey Nichols - isn't that in Leeds? We have one in Brum though, so not that exciting to them. Good suggestion though.

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:03:24

it is fab!!

Leeds not the city it was 20 years ago oh no!

Ilkley great too for a bit of walking and culture although literature festival will be over

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:04:33

Okay - so what would they like in Leeds? Is it fabber than York? I love York!

Does Ilkley have a train station?

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 20:05:33

Harvey Nichols is in Leeds. There are some fab shops, particularly around the victoria quarter area.

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 20:08:15

Vivienne Westwood, Jo Malone, Kurt Geiger shoes (sp?), Rose and Co are all lovely girly shops. Yo Sushi upstairs in Harvey Nichols for a fab and inexpensive lunch. Drool over the shoes and handbags, makeover on the ground floor (pretend that you are interested in buying products and they will lavish you with attention). Perfume section to die for.

DwayneDibbley Sun 18-Oct-09 20:09:02

Message withdrawn

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:11:33

What is Bed? We love curry. Three of us are veggie.

We love Vivienne Westwood too but can't afford it! We normally only stay in travelodge type places, so a 'nice' hotel will be a treat for us.

Does Harrogate have any nice shops?

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:18:06

lots of lovely shops in harrogate

Hulababy Sun 18-Oct-09 20:19:20

I would say both Leeds and York are woth a visit. I prefer York personally.

What are your children into?

justaboutautumn Sun 18-Oct-09 20:22:45

Message withdrawn

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:23:48

ooh justaboutamum wink

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:24:54

Dd1 is into fashion and art and cake!

DD2 is into eating, art and archaeology!

Both of them will be happy to visit art galleries and museums. DD1 sounds like she will be in shopping heaven but dd2 hates shops. They will both enjoy swimming at the spa I think and are also happy to chill in a coffee house, especially if they've got books.

They don't mind walking and like travelling on trains. They also like outdoorsy things like nature centres etc.

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 20:25:05

I can't afford Vivienne Westwood either, but I do love a look around, stroke a few garments and annoy the salespeople grin

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 20:26:21

Yes - you just HAVE to stroke them, don't you?!

Are there any costume museums? I'd love to go to Hawarth but not sure we'd be able to get there without a car.

smittenkitten Sun 18-Oct-09 20:28:23

i live in leeds and work in york, and I think shopping in leeds is better. york is more beautiful with the Minster and everything, but because it is historic, a lot of hte shops are small and have limited ranges. you can get trains from harrogate into leeds centre. there is a nails inc nailbar in Debenhams. I think there may be one in Harvey Nicols as well. have a great time!

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:28:29

henry moore and leeds art galley fab for tartand right by the shops

nip down victorian quarter for shops then.....hmm stumped at the cake bit... back to harrogate for tea room blend pikelets and fat rascal in bettys!

GoppingOtter Sun 18-Oct-09 20:29:06

fab for tart ?? probably but of course i meant art!

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 20:30:27

Yes Nails Inc are in Harvey Nicks too.

Can't recommend Betty's enough but pricey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now