Talk

Advanced search

Is youth hostelling still cheap with under fives?

(3 Posts)
LissyGlitter Sun 18-Oct-09 00:03:49

Just watching a documentary about the YHA and it occurred to me that this could be a good idea for us. DD is 2.5 and we have never been on a family holiday. She has been camping with just me and my family a couple of times, and we have visited family for a few days at a time, but all three of us (me, DP and DD) have never been away, just us three. DP won't go camping, personally I think he is daft, but there you go.

I've had a dig about on the YHA website and it looks like we would have to get a private room (although, given that we will have a newborn with us by the time we go anywhere, that could be a bit obvious really) which would cost about £60 a night, which seems quite steep. Is there a cheaper way?

A friend tried to organise a big group trip for a gang of us and kids to a camping barn, but it never happened, does anyone have any experience of this? Would it work with babies in tow?

Our other idea is to club together with both sets of grandparents and all get a cottage somewhere (lake district?). I harbour a wish to go to butlins, after some lovely childhood memories, but DP isn't keen. I think he was brought up in more of a centre parcs house (ie posh ) and his entire family have a horror of even caravnning, never mind camping, so a big family takeover of a field somewhere is out.

A week or so away somewhere, doing different things, would be lovely though...

What about a Forest Holidays cabin? It's neither Butlins nor Centre Parcs...

Fennel Mon 19-Oct-09 12:50:19

We didn't pay for 2 year olds in YHA rooms. Some hostels are cheaper than others, you should be able to get a room for 2 + cot for less than £60. but yes I think YHs are good value for us with 3 children in a family room but probably not so much with just one baby unless you book a double/twin room + cot. Which could be £30-40 depending on the hostel.

we like the YHAs for being very child- and toddler- friendly. We don't find them cheaper than other cheapish hotels or B&Bs but they are easy spaces for small children to rampage around, and we like the self-catering kitchens and common rooms and gardens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now