Talk

Advanced search

Somerset/Taunton crowd please!

(42 Posts)
BudaBones Thu 15-Oct-09 12:28:56

As some of you know we are planning on relocating to Taunton area in the next 2 years. Are heading to Taunton this Saturday and staying till Thursday. Have some appointments to see some houses. (Very exciting!)

We are staying at the Salisbury House Hotel in the middle of Taunton and I was wondering if any of you had some nice restaurant recommendations. We will have DS in tow as well. Anywhere particularly nice for pub food?

We arrive Saturday afternoon and our plan is to wander around town a bit depending on what time we get there and then find somewhere for an early dinner. Sunday we plan to drive around and look at location of some houses that we are not sure we want to look at - will depend on where they are. A nice pub lunch would be good on Sunday if any of you know of anywhere.

BudaBones Thu 15-Oct-09 16:40:19

Bump!

smile

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 16:46:41

HELLO

Early dinner, try the Sanctuary in Middle Street for posh nosh or alternatively, the Italian at the top of East Reach (Cafe Roma - opens from 6pm) for a child-friendly nibble. Or there is Pizza Express at the bottom of town over the bridge but that's a bit naff.

I don't know of anywhere that does a nice pub lunch on the Sunday, although there is the Hankridge Arms although they are bloody rude to children. Taunton is really lacking in nice eateries TBH.

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 16:49:16

Actually the Master Baker on Lisieux Way does a nice Sunday carvery which is v. children-friendly

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 16:51:20

Master THATCHER I mean

BudaBones Thu 15-Oct-09 16:54:49

Thanks MP! Was hoping you would spot this. I am sure we will end up at Pizza Express at some stage as DS likes it.

With regard to the pub lunch on Sunday it doesn't need to be IN Taunton - we have transport. Any nice pubs in surrounding villages?

Also - don't suppose you know of a good hairdresser do you? I could do with a really good cut.

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 19:48:38

There really aren't many nice pubs that I know of AT ALL, although I have two travel-sick children so a pub lunch would be wasted on the floor of our Skoda

The Rose and Crown at Stoke St Gregory is oft recommended

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 19:49:02

Five Salon at 5, East Reach are good for barnets!

ambercat Thu 15-Oct-09 20:11:49

Hi, the lethridge arms in Bishops Lydeard used to be nice for sunday lunch as did the blue ball at Triscombe, but you usualy have to book there. The Cross Keys at Norton fitzwarren is ok aswell and someone recommended the Allerford inn the other day but it looked closed when i ran past it last week.

For lunch i went to the perfect 5th the other day (just up from boots) and it was nice.

Redz is good for a haircut, behind M&S opposite the library.

ambercat Thu 15-Oct-09 20:15:30

p.s.Did you know its carnival on sat?

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 20:18:50

hi ambercat

Oooh yes carnival, your DS will have a whale of a time

ThingOneofYourNightmares Thu 15-Oct-09 20:24:19

We used to go to the Rising Sun at Bagborough in the Quantocks, but not far from Taunton. We left the area six year ago so don't know if it's still nice.

ambercat Thu 15-Oct-09 20:28:21

Hello MP!

Yes think rising sun is still nice, think it burnt down a few yrs back but guess they have rebuilt it now!.

I will miss the Carnival again as we are away this weekend -lived here 10yrs and never been around for it!- childeren are gutted as its always such a big deal round here.

morningpaper Thu 15-Oct-09 20:31:16

Lol about the Rising Sun - I was going to say the same about the Rose And Crown, as it's only just reopened after it was burnt down

lots of ARSON around here obviously

ambercat Thu 15-Oct-09 20:38:17

Not much else to do here in the sticks!!

BudaBones Thu 15-Oct-09 23:09:10

Oh I missed a meet-up!

Carnival? No i did not know. Who, what, when, where and why???? Will it affect us? Will traffic be a nightmare? What is there for DS to do? We will get to Taunton earliest 4pm.

Thanks for all suggestions re food - will check them out.

Will check out hair places.

BudaBones Thu 15-Oct-09 23:09:39

Oh - anyone around for a coffee??

morningpaper Fri 16-Oct-09 13:16:33

I'm not around unfortunately! Another time I would love to meet up!

Carnival info here

BudaBones Fri 16-Oct-09 18:57:14

Thanks for carnival info. Shame you are not around. Next time hopefully.

OrmIrian Fri 16-Oct-09 19:08:12

Ha! Buda I knew you couldn't keep away grin

There's the Half Moon at Stoke St Mary. Good pub food. Malt Shovel at Cannington. Brazz in Taunton is nice. Prezzo? Blue Ball at Crowcombe ( I think)

Carnival is in North Petherton on Satuday btw but don't try to drive there after about 5pm!

WHereabout are you looking? <nosy>

OrmIrian Fri 16-Oct-09 19:15:11

Blue Ball at Triscombe

OrmIrian Fri 16-Oct-09 19:52:50

royal oak at luxborough

booge Fri 16-Oct-09 20:14:55

The Rose and Crown at Stoke St Gregory does the best Sunday roast ever...rib of beef lovely and pink ummmmmm.

booge Fri 16-Oct-09 20:16:40

I went to the Allerford (Victory really) the other day, bulk standard food but not bad, the children liked watching the trains.

BudaBones Fri 16-Oct-09 20:38:35

Thanks all.

Hi Orm - wondered would you spot this! We are looking at about 4 houses. One in Taunton, one in Nether Stowey, one in Watterow and one in North Curry. The NC one has just gone under offer though although vendors still want us to view. Oh - and one in Ilminster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now