Talk

Advanced search

manchester hotel

(17 Posts)
45nanny Fri 09-Oct-09 11:12:09

Hi im looking to meet my daughter in Manchester for a mum and daughter weekend. she is at UNI in Preston and so this seems like a reasonable stop off point ,i'm coming from Milton keynes.
Anyway im looking for nice Hotels in Manchester , not to far out as we will both be arriving by train .45nanny .
Any suggestions on what to do , apart from shopping .
Thanks.

DottyDot Fri 09-Oct-09 16:32:39

Dp and I have stayed in the Malmaison which is nice (if a little black and red - you kind of feel you're in an 80's nightclub all the time!) but if I had a good budget I'd try the new Hilton on Deansgate!

Things to do - shopping's good and there's the wheel next to Selfridges. Even if you don't stay at the Hilton it's worth going to the Sky bar for a drink for the views - amazing.

purepurple Fri 09-Oct-09 16:35:24

I just spent last night at the Britannia. Very good value, and not too far from Manchester Victoria.
For shopping go to Affleck's Palace. Full of alternative stuff

NorbertDentressangle Fri 09-Oct-09 16:38:47

We stayed in the Ramada Jarvis in Picadilly a few weeks ago -location is excellent as it is right in the centre, near transport links, great view over the city and Picadilly Gardens.

Also if you do the Tesco Clubcard deals thing its excellent value.

carocaro Fri 09-Oct-09 16:49:03

You can walk to Malmaison from Piccadilly Station, which is handy

ruddynorah Fri 09-Oct-09 16:53:53

you must stay at malmaison. it's near the station, on the main road down towards the shops.

here

ruddynorah Fri 09-Oct-09 16:55:01

girls night in offer thingy

janess404 Fri 09-Oct-09 17:01:18

radisson is nice depending on budget i live in the city centre and lots of my clients stay in these hotels however some stay in the premier inn and if the room is just for sleeping and chaging its a good clean option!

stay away from britannia in my opinion dated and a little dirty.

Location wise try and be on deansgate and everything is in walking distance.

its sometimes cheaper to book through late rooms or last minute

hope it helps

alison56 Tue 13-Oct-09 22:50:10

I prefer the Lowry Hotel over Malmaison.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 13-Oct-09 22:54:18

I am a Lowry lover too. It is marvellous. An VERY close to Deansgate for shopping grin

I would give the new Hilton a go too if I could afford it. And there's a place called St John's summat or other that is supposed to be nice too.

Malmaison almost on the Piccadilly approach so good for the train. and fine, but if you can, try somewhere a bit more unique...

choppychopster Tue 13-Oct-09 23:02:05

If you want a bit of a bargain, try City Inn - lovely hotel with a very cool bar and restaurant and nice comfy rooms with loads of gadgets, but at Travelodge prices. They usually only charge abou £55 per night at weekends. It's right by picadilly station and within easy walking distance of everything.

Never stayed at Malmaison, but the restaurant and spa are fab.

bluejeans Tue 13-Oct-09 23:07:52

Stay at the Midland! I've been 3 times and going back in December. Not v close to station but still central and handy for most things. Nice decent sized rooms with a sense of luxury. Not tried breakfast yet as always had room only deals but will be next time - can't wait

ScaryFucker Tue 13-Oct-09 23:09:57

The Midland is ok

The Lowry is fab

If you can't afford to stay at the Hilton you have to have a cocktail in Cloud 23 bar. It is obligatory.

Rindercella Tue 13-Oct-09 23:12:46

A 2nd vote for the Midland here. We stay there several times a year and it is lovely. Think there's spa, pool, etc., on site. I can vouch for breakfast - tis very good smile

Champagne cocktails in the bar are nice. After cocktails, wander around the corner to Chinatown and have dinner at Yang Sing

Quattrocento Tue 13-Oct-09 23:17:49

Have stayed in the Radisson, Malmaison, the Midland and the Hilton. Of those, I prefer Malmaison, then the Radisson then the Midland then the Hilton. Don't eat breakfast so can't comment on that but the rooms most comfortable in Malmaison. The Radisson has a lot of light and airiness about it. The Hilton is ... just another Hilton. I think it has a bar with a glass floor though and seemed a bit oddly shaped. The Midland is fine but a bit too dark for me, and a bit y'know, creaky.

Not stayed in the Lowry though.

choppychopster Tue 13-Oct-09 23:19:55

Agree that it's worth going to Cloud 23 at the Hilton. Fantastic views, great cocktails, but the decor is distinctly underwhelming and it's wannabe-WAG central.

Yang Sing is yum! grin

45nanny Sat 17-Oct-09 08:09:01

Thanks everyone for the list of hotels , going to look at them all online , sort out our dates and hopefully find a bargin , for spending time with my daughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now