Talk

Advanced search

tips for visit to North East (in November) with 4 dc

(22 Posts)
ErnestTheBavarian Wed 30-Sep-09 08:52:14

Hi, I left NE way back in 1984 when I was a wee wee thing. Am going back for 1st time in forever probably my 1 and only visit. Dh not really been and none of kids have. (except ds1 at 15 months, so don't really count)

Anyway, need tips for must see/do things- We fly into Manchester, drive via Lake district, then spend most of time in NE. I think we have Hadrian's Wall and Lindisfarne on the list. We have 4 dc aged 1.5, 5, 8 & 10, so need to keep them amused as well as try to squeeze as much as possible in.

ALso suggestions on places to stay gratefully received.

I guess we'll hire a car so pretty flexible. I have 1 aunt in Wolsingham & granny in Houghton-le-Spring. These are my only 2 fixed points.

Thanks so much

101handbags Wed 30-Sep-09 16:00:59

I was on holiday with my boyfriend in Northumberland last week. I don't have any children.. but we did notice that Housesteads Roman Fort (Hadrian's Wall) and Alnwick Castle seemed particularly child friendly - Alnwick had some exhibitions/dressing up etc for kids and there was a dressing up box at Housesteads too.
We were so fortunate with the weather hence Bamburgh beach was absolutely brilliant for walking - and beautifual sandy beaches, but may not be appropriate in a few weeks.

Lindisfarne is great and we also stopped at the Angel of the North (on way back from Durham) which is probably quite amazing for older children - there is a carpark there and a grassy area.
We also went to Cragside which was my favourite thing - a Victorian industrialist's house where history really comes alive. The grounds and gardens are huge and lots of picnic areas etc.

I hope this helps, I wish I could go back tomorrow, we had such a lovely time. Oh and we stayed in a little cottage by the river in beautiful Warkworth and could easily drive to all of the above places.

ErnestTheBavarian Thu 01-Oct-09 12:52:03

thanks, some good tips. WHo'd you book your cottage through? I hadn't thought of that but good idea.

Am I totally barmy in even considering a camper van?

IWantCleanCarpets Thu 01-Oct-09 12:57:43

I personally wouldn't do it with a camper van in Nov....it was bad enough in July when we were there (in a cottage).

Just to buck the trend I have to say I didn't really "get" Lindisfarne in terms of a visit. Nice to look at from afar though. My vote goes for Bamburgh, Alnwick and I would have said a boat trip to the Farne Islands (from Seahouses), but probably not in Nov! Also don't forget Kielder Water if you have the time.

IWantCleanCarpets Thu 01-Oct-09 13:00:18

Hadrians Wall is a must, DS dressed up at Housesteads Roman Fort. If you are visiting the wall for more than 1 day buy a 7 day car park pass rather than pay per day.

thehairybabysmum Thu 01-Oct-09 13:04:17

Alnwick Gardens

Northumberland beaches, Bamburgh in particualr. There is a fab shortish walk along the coast from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle, it is a ruin so your older ones can scramble over it in places.

Cragside is lovely.

Also Newcastle itself.

101handbags Thu 01-Oct-09 15:29:09

Hi, we booked our cottage with this company

FritesMenthe Thu 01-Oct-09 17:46:31

Can recommend this cottage in Bamburgh. We stayed there in the summer.

piprabbit Thu 01-Oct-09 17:50:35

The Life Science Centre in Newcastle is worth a visit, we took DD aged 3 and it kept me enteretained as well.

triplets Thu 01-Oct-09 17:57:32

OO i AM HI JACKING! We are going to Northumberland in Oct half term, staying in a place called Ulgham nr Morpeth, lovely 2 bed spacious coach house with a hot tub! Looks very nice. I have a brother in Durham so have done that area, Beamish etc, so be ice to be abit further north. Love anything to do with nature, so keep the ideas coming please!

ErnestTheBavarian Thu 01-Oct-09 19:35:39

could you link me your place triplets please?

DP let me know how you get on and I can benefit from your trip

I need to go to Holy Island to show ds3, as he is named after Saint Aidan who lived there plus the drive over to it, and desperately trying to avoid getting cut off by the tide is worth the fun.

I'd actually love a cottage by the sea now you all have given your tips.

A motor home definately total madness ?out of the question

Even my old VW camper van has a propex heater in it, a more modern motor home certainly would. My van is warm and toasty all year round. You just need to make sure from the hire place it has a heater.

Golda Thu 01-Oct-09 20:00:58

If you can stand the North Sea in Nov then farne islands are worth a visit. The baby seals are born from October so its a good time.

IWantCleanCarpets Thu 01-Oct-09 20:12:00

These cottages look great. I've had them saved on my favourites but not booked through them as they don't allow dogs sad

juneybean Thu 01-Oct-09 20:19:50

There's nothing in Houghton le Spring.... lol

duckyfuzz Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:05

for wet and windy days, seven stories in Newcastle is fab and will amuse them all, discovery and great north museums are free and v good, centre for life good but charges, Cragside if you are NT members

duckyfuzz Thu 01-Oct-09 20:25:56

oooh hello triplets, didn't see yuo there

Clayhead Thu 01-Oct-09 20:53:14

We always use Coastal Retreats as they are fab.

The Ship Inn in Low Newton is lovely.

ErnestTheBavarian Fri 02-Oct-09 09:50:14

can you imagine staying in Houghton-le-Spring? Shudder. Mind you, Houghton feast should be on soon. Seemed magical as a kid. Wonder if it is still? All I remember are the roasting ox and candy floss. Never allowed either hmm

juneybean Fri 02-Oct-09 10:10:34

Ernest don't ruin your image of Houghton Feast by going as an adult.

It's anything but magical lol!

ErnestTheBavarian Fri 02-Oct-09 10:20:02

I think I'm safe - should be over when I get there. I remember walking back home across the fields with my sis and cousin discussing what we would do if Jack the Ripper got us .We must've been so young and there were all these roumours he was going to go to Houghton Feast! Too young to understand he wouldn't be interested in 3 little kids. I seem to remember my cousin was going to jump on his back and I would kick him in the shins. Not sure what sis role wasblush

juneybean Fri 02-Oct-09 11:54:05

Hahaha sounds like a plan and a half!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now