Talk

Advanced search

WELLS - SOMERSET

(7 Posts)
merlin Sun 27-Sep-09 22:18:51

Visiting for the day - what to see/do? Apart from the cathedral obviously!

What's the shopping like? Does it have more unique/unusual shops - not the usual High Street boring stuff?

merlin Sun 27-Sep-09 22:26:46

bump

merlin Mon 28-Sep-09 12:47:13

no-one been then?

sixfoldwaitingtime Mon 28-Sep-09 12:56:26

There are a few nice shops - nothing super-special, but a few independents. There really is only one long shopping st, which runs down from the market square, so you can't miss it.

But there are two v nice places for lunch - both on Sadler St, which runs off to the right of the Market Square (if you've got your back to the cathedral). Goodfellows is on the right, first - very nice bistro, then on the other side is the Old Spot, which is excellent and not too expensive for their set lunch (and my fave).

Wander round the Bishops Palace too - and there is a good path from the back of there which takes you out into the country - all paved, but a nice stroll. Other than that (if you have a car) there is only the existential hell which is Wookey Hole...

merlin Mon 28-Sep-09 13:07:50

Thank you sixfold! Will try out The Old Spot for lunch I think - we only have a few ours there so didn't want to miss anything spectacular!!

OrmIrian Mon 28-Sep-09 13:10:30

Bishops Palace very nice. The garden has the original 'wells' too - pool with a natural spring bubbling up in it. My parents are guides there on a regular basis. DH and I had our wedding reception there too.

Shopping not that interesting IME.

merlin Mon 05-Oct-09 14:12:32

Loved Wells!!! - although couldn't get inside cathedral because there was a very long service going on!

Went all round the Bishops Palace and grounds which was lovely and very interesting.

Couple of nice little 'home/design' type shops and brought a few bits and bobs with my birthday money!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now