Talk

Advanced search

warning - Haven offer in Daily Mail turns out to be a rip-off!

(10 Posts)
edam Wed 16-Sep-09 12:14:59

Am quite cross. Booked a Haven caravan holiday offer in the Daily Mail last month. Was supposed to be £60 for three nights. They've just written to say they want another £70 for site fees, gas and electricity. AND they've changed the caravan we booked to one with no heating and no double glazing - in North Wales in October!

So, if you've taken up this offer, be warned you'll have to pay extra and you won't get what you originally paid for anyway...

Lovemyshoes Wed 16-Sep-09 12:17:59

I've had this Edam, that is why I never do the caravan holiday offers anymore, I once booked one through the sun and it ended up costing us more than it would have done if we had booked it direct.

I also found they were so unhelpful too when I enquired about it.

Tortington Wed 16-Sep-09 12:19:49

yes my sons (then) GFs parents booked a sun thing in Northern ireland - and ended up paying double.

and were freezing to boot

AboardtheAxiom Wed 16-Sep-09 12:24:05

Have posted in the past about this, it is always cheaper to book direct when Haven when they are doing half price offers. Newspaper ones all have hidden extras.

edam Wed 16-Sep-09 12:28:44

Thanks everyone. Grr. Double checked with website and caravan we originally booked had heating - now they are charging us double for one without!

Am going to write a very stiff letter to their owners, Bourne Leisure Group, and Trading Standards.

edam Thu 17-Sep-09 10:24:20

Have talked to Consumer Direct - apparently I am covered by the Package Travel Regulations and both the surcharge and downgrading of accommodation are illegal. (Any surcharge may only be up to 2%, not 116%! And change of accommodation must be to an equivalent or better standard.)

Have sent letters by recorded delivery and emailed Haven and BreakFree and the Daily Mail.

Let's see what happens...

AboardtheAxiom Fri 18-Sep-09 09:33:18

Good for you edam - I wonder how many other families they have done this to? angry Hope you get it all sorted.

Lovemyshoes Fri 18-Sep-09 09:36:28

Let us know how you get on Edam.

PuppyMonkey Fri 18-Sep-09 09:38:25

That's outrageous. Hope you get it sorted.

mrstimlovejoy Wed 23-Sep-09 14:33:45

we stayed at a haven sight in june and the caravan we had didn't have heating it was freezing and damp hated it ended up coming home early.we went to a friends caravan last month [lovely,brand new and with heating] needed it on at night as did get chilly so would definately need it in october,we were in wales too.hope you get it sorted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now