Talk

Advanced search

romantic night away in south west ish area.

(43 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 21:25:44

Any recommendations. Just one night, for me and DH, end of sept.

I want. Peace. And somewhere nice to eat. I thought I wanted luxury this and that, and actually, I think, just romantic and quiet will be fine.

Not expensive, none of this £300 a night malarky if you do not mind as we have dc2 on the way.

I want to soak in the bath while DH pours drinks, eat out somewhere that does not cost a fortune in case it does not stay down (either on location or elsewhere), I want to lie in bed in the morning without DH having to get up to make brekky, want to read the paper, soak in the bath.

Just wanting for DH and I to be able to celebrate our 2nd anniversary with the stress of the real world around us, and no children, no builders.

The website is shit but the place is great, food and wine list excellent and a (very)short stumble to the rooms.

The website is shit but the food and wine list are great and it has rooms. web.mac.com/anne_docartier/The_Star_&_Garter/Welcome.html

Not sure what happened there.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 21:32:00

lol i wish i could stumble - am pg so will be dh stumbling on his own grin.

You need to send the link grin

This place is amazing (biased as I got married there). It's £250 but that's dinner bed and breakfast (as long as you can go Sunday -Thursday).

www.amberleycastle.co.uk/special_breaks.asp?SBID=333&Action=ShowBreak

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 10-Sep-09 21:35:43

We stayed here for a child free night last winter and it was lovely. Fab food, roaring fires, nice rooms, beautiful location. Just a really relaxing, romantic night away. I think we might have to squeeze another one in before dc2 comes along as well smile

This is pretty great as well

www.royaloaklavant.co.uk/

(I'm a little obssessed about that part of the world!)

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 10-Sep-09 21:37:18

here is beautiful, by the river, tea on the terrace, food is great, you can have a gentle stroll by the river.

scroobiuspirate Thu 10-Sep-09 21:43:19

good friend of mine went here with her dh, said it was beautiful, tranquil and fab!!

Bedruthan Steps in cornwall

Erm I have it on quite good authority that Bedruthan Steps is a family hotel!

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 10-Sep-09 21:52:27

They now have a sister hotel called The Scarlet something

wobbegong Thu 10-Sep-09 21:53:10

Librasbiscuit, DD was conceived at Royal Oak! (hope that is not TMI). Bloody gorgeous place. And lovely bath for Pavlov to soak in, I recall. And you can just potter downstairs for dinner. Divine.
I really wouldn't go to Bedruthan Steps without kids!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:25

yes they do, i think it is still under construction though...we go camping just up the road from there all the time, so, while it would be fab to go there and stay there, we would like to go somewhere a little different location wise. But I agree, the location is amazing. Just a beautiful part of this country.

Is sussex classed as southwest? blush

The one in dorset looks nice.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:11:06

libra yes it is very much a family hotel, but its also dsigned well enough I think that you can go without children - sea view rooms, dinner in the dining room past a certain time when children are not allowed (they have high tea instead), that kind of thing. And I would think it would be quiet on the child front that time of year.

Just somewhere we have been about 6 times this year already!

scroobiuspirate Thu 10-Sep-09 22:13:25

pavlov, had no idea you'd been there. i don't have/know many frineds who 'do' hotels, it was the only one i'd heard of!!

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 10-Sep-09 22:14:59

Was that mone? How exciting, we live about 15 mins away and love going there for Sunday lunch when we can persuade someone to babysit our monsters DC's

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:16:50

I have not been to the actual hotel, although it looks lovely. I have been to Mawgan Porth lots though - Gosh if only i was wealthy enough to do Bedruthan Steps 6 times in a year as if it was normal grin. I slum it in a campsite 5 mins past bedruthan steps, on the cliff edge, in my soulpad grin. I am now pregnant enough that I need a bed and a bath ideally. DH would like somewhere sea related I think, on the basis of him having a bit of a seafood fetish, and a desire to find somewhere to eat crab linguine!

OrmIrian Thu 10-Sep-09 22:20:02

never stayed but was assured twas v nice by suits who worked for Dept of Energy. And have been to a lovely wedding there

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 10-Sep-09 22:20:04

My friend sells fresh crab and lobsters that her DH has caught so you could buy and take home (or buy and get the hotel to make it for you as someone I know did)

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:24:50

He is impressed and is being swayed...grin

orm that looks gorgeous.

OrmIrian Thu 10-Sep-09 22:25:29

Beautiful place

scroobiuspirate Thu 10-Sep-09 22:29:38

now that does look beautiful orm.

where are you based pavlov, how west do you want to go. I live near salcombe, I'm guessing there is aot of seafood there!!!

Padstow?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:32:29

OMG shock I think it is gorgous! And DHs reaction was fucking hell it is twee, I hate it shock

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:34:01

I am south hams - as far as dorset one way, up to gloucester and into deepest darkest cornwall is fine with me! grin.

Padstow is nice, but pricey? Salcombe, really expensive I am sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now