Talk

Advanced search

Great Dorset Steam Fair - anyone been?

(13 Posts)
SuperBunny Mon 31-Aug-09 20:18:29

We drove past the site today and was astonished by the size of the fair. I have free tickets and want to take DS at the weekend but it all looks so overwhelmging.

Has anyone been?

I know to look out for the sheep shearing/ dancing sheep but what else? Anything to avoid or to know in advance?

twinklytoes Tue 01-Sep-09 08:36:24

went a couple of years ago. loved it. but it was incredibly loud.

the pipe organs are amazing to look at and listen, all of them handcarved and beutifully decorated.

the big wheel in the fun fair is very big and definately worth a ride.

loads if older examples of buses, fire engines etc

antiques market.

can't remember the rest but we only cut the surface and didn't stay for the evening as had to drive home but evenings are supposed to be pretty good with live bands, fireworks etc.

fantastic day out.

SuperBunny Tue 01-Sep-09 09:06:30

Great, thanks!

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 01-Sep-09 09:12:05

I go regularly. My BIL exhibits and DS1 just loves going to see and 'drive' the engines.

How old is your DS? TBH there is so much to see that you'll be spoilt for choice especially if he is like most little (and grown-up) boys I know and loves machines of any sort!

We can't wait til Friday comes around to spend the weekend down there. It'll be DS2's first time! DS1 went there for the first time at 2 weeks old!

SuperBunny Tue 01-Sep-09 09:14:45

Thanks, Wellies.

DS is almost 4 - he's not as excited as I am. We used to go to a steam fair every year when I was little. I think he'll like the engines though - we saw a steam tractor on the way home yesterday and he was quite impressed!

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 01-Sep-09 09:26:24

ah, there you go then - he'll enjoy it and you'll have a nice nostalgic day! It is massive though so decide what you plan on seeing from the start (maybe check their website - not sure how much info there is on it though). Remember wellies etc if it rains. Oh and traffic and queues can get heavy on weekends esp if it's good weather, so travel early or just be prepared for it.

Enjoy! We might walk past each other there! Must find out if there is a secret MN handshake yet... grin

mejon Tue 01-Sep-09 17:18:02

My father and brother are just packing to leave for there tomorrow. They usually go as exhibitors with their steam engines but are only going as 'visitors' this year (and cadging a lift on someone else's engine!). We used to spend our summer holidays going from one rally to another when I was little, staying in the caravan and wooden living van. Since having DD I've taken her a couple of times if my DF and DB were nearby and the smell of the steam, the smoke and hot oil really takes me back and I get all nostalgic! You'll have a fantastic time - just remember to take your wellies in case it rains. From what I'm told - it is either very dusty (if it is dry) or extremely muddy (if wet)!

Wellies! How are you? When did you have ds2? Congratulations. smile

Waves to SuperBunny too.....

<TMAM ponders, having come back from Dorset 3 weeks ago, whether Dorset is where everyone goes when they are not living overseas? wink>

<apologies for the hijack>

Drusilla Tue 01-Sep-09 17:25:40

We used to live on Blandford Camp which is right behind the site and went several times - it's fab. Would thoroughly recommend it. That was pre DS though, although I wouldn't hesitate to take him now (he is 4). Make an effort to walk to the far end of the site to see the heavy horses, they're amazing The ferret man is good as well, if your DS is little he might like that!

IrishDraught Tue 01-Sep-09 17:38:10

Oh I wish I'd know about this, DH can wangle a day off work but too far to travel really there and back in a day. Not been but it looks great!

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 01-Sep-09 17:51:24

Themasterandmargaritas - hiii! I'm fine thanks. And you? I had DS2 at the end of Feb. He's brilliant and I'm smitten grin.
Yes, there must be an expat magnet in Dorset! We've decided to stay here for a bit longer so not sure at the mo when we're heading back to BH yet. END OF HIJACK

SuperBunny Tue 01-Sep-09 18:14:00

There do seem to be a lot of MNers in Dorset atm! Congrats, Wellies smile

<waves at margaritas>

SuperBunny Tue 01-Sep-09 18:19:09

Am envious of all the people who go as exhibitors. I will look out for the ferret man, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now