Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nicest place to go for holiday on north Norfolk coast?

(17 Posts)
PiperG Tue 11-Aug-09 19:27:59

We want to go for a week at end August to north Norfolk coast - where is the most lovely part? Would love any recommendations! We would like to stay very close to the sea - have an eighteen month old and a three year old so would love to be able to just get to the beach really easily.

Pinkfluffyslippers Tue 11-Aug-09 21:10:17

Hi
A couple of years ago I went to Overy Staithe on North Norfolk coast with my then 2 year old. We stayed with Val Smith - she had a v small b and b (studio flat) and one nice room away from the house. Her number is 01328 738 675.

PFS

PerArduaAdNauseum Tue 11-Aug-09 21:13:10

yy to pinkfluffy - area also handy for Cley, Wells, etc. If 3yo into trains then can get the Poppy Line at Holt to and from Sheringham.

Just don't go to Titchwell. Just don't.

somanyboyssolittletime Tue 11-Aug-09 21:13:21

Hi
I like Burnham Market/Holkham and around that area - there is a good website for cottages called babyfriendlyboltholes.co.uk (if you haven't already heard of it) which does cottages in Norfolk among loads of other places.

mazzystartled Tue 11-Aug-09 21:17:19

The beach at Brancaster is fabulous, also gorgeous is Salthouses in a wild, pebbly, unfound kind of way

There are rooms at the Victoria at Holkham if you are feeling flush, and the same people also have a pub with rooms in Wells.

Avoid Hunstanton.

DaisymooSteiner Tue 11-Aug-09 21:22:34

We've just been on holiday here and had a wonderful time. It is walking distance to the beach, although it is very pebbly and not really a sandcastle type place. However, it's only about a 10 minute drive to the beach at Sheringham which is a lovely town with a nice beach and lots to do. The cottages are also very family friendly and have a little playground on site as well as a nice indoor swimming pool, so you can just nip over for a swim if the weather is bad.

We love this part of Norfolk and have been there the past two years and no plans to go anywhere else for the next few years!

plus3 Tue 11-Aug-09 21:24:06

hello sorry can't recommend any places to stay as PIL have a place which we (constantly) use! That part of norfolk is lovely though -Beach wise Holkham is my favourite, although Brancaster and Holm next the sea are both lovely.

Blakeney is national trust, and can do trips out to the seals. Cley and Wells next the sea are also worth a visit.

Burnham Market good for shopping (in a slightly posh and expensive way) and so many fab little pubs for food - The white horse at blakeney is fab, also red lion in stiffkey.

Hope that helps!

PiperG Wed 12-Aug-09 12:56:16

Thanks all for tips: reckon we would love to go to Holkham, just need to find a cottage to rent that's affordable! Everything seems so expensive ...

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Wed 12-Aug-09 12:59:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedDeadFail Wed 12-Aug-09 13:04:32

You can't go wrong really. Do go to Wells Next the Sea for the littlies while you're there, there's a miniature train from the quay to the beach and my dd adores it. Tis adjacent to Holkham. I like most of the Burnhams for different reasons. Burnham Overy Staithe is quaint and lovely, Burnham Market a wonderful place for a wander. There are 7 Burnhams altogether!

Best place on the N Norfolk coast however is my Mum's house. Does a cracking roast and my Dad's rather funny. I realise this does not help you.

RedDeadFail Wed 12-Aug-09 13:05:17

And don't go to my MIL's house. She's lovely but she talks too much.

spicemonster Wed 12-Aug-09 13:10:46

Agree with everyone here - Burnham to Cley is the nicest bit, gets slightly more mingy either side. But you are going to struggle finding somewhere for a week at end of Aug I'd think - it gets really, really booked up

PiperG Wed 12-Aug-09 19:34:36

Is Stiffkey on the coast - are there beaches? have found somewhere there we could rent but no idea if the place is nice! Would love to just be able to walk to a beach.
Please RedDeadFail, can I go to your mum's house? grin

CybilLiberty Wed 12-Aug-09 19:59:47

Wells is lovely, we are going there in a couple of weeks. Beaches are fab.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 12-Aug-09 20:02:57

no one has mentioned hunstanton. I love it there too, and they have a lovely seal sanctuary in the sealife center.

I love wells, sherringham, cromer, whole area is beautiful. I'd prob live on crabs if I went up there now.

tkband3 Wed 12-Aug-09 20:08:09

We've just had a week in Burnham Overy Staithe, which is about 5-10 mins drive from Brancaster Beach in one direction and Wells in the other. It was our second visit this year - we absolutely love it. The beaches are just amazing - miles and miles of sand to walk on when the tide is out.

There's a decent looking caravan park right next to Wells beach - have to admit I've never been actually inside, but I think it's owned by the people that own the Victoria Pub as well (apparently they own the leases on all the beach huts on Wells beach too, we met a couple who paid £45,000 for one a couple of years ago shock shock).

serinBrightside Mon 24-Aug-09 00:35:27

Mmmmm Think the campsite in Wells is called Pinewoods, it is owned by the folks at Holkham hall but we drove around it last week and were very glad that we were not staying there. Despite it's entry in 2cool camping2 it looked really scruffy, litter strewn and with hideous portaloo's. Lots of men wandering around bare-chested which wouldn't be so bad had they not had beer bellies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now