Talk

Advanced search

BATH - recommendations for things to do there!

(7 Posts)
Fruitysunshine Tue 11-Aug-09 01:46:17

It is our 3rd wedding anniversary on Wednesday and my husband is taking me to Bath on Thursday for a 3 night break to celebrate! Aside being so excited that we actually made it to 3 years I am also excited that we will get all this time together on our own!

I have never been to Bath but always wanted to go. I know about the Thermae Spa but would really like your recommendations of places to visit and places to avoid.

This is my first thread I have started so excuse me for feeling like a dork at being chuffed with myself!

Fruitysunshine

Fruitysunshine Tue 11-Aug-09 18:29:58

bump

smile

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Tue 11-Aug-09 18:38:21

We liked the American Museum.

Fruitysunshine Tue 11-Aug-09 18:42:24

Aaaww thanks Jammy - that looks great!

Thingiebob Tue 11-Aug-09 19:14:00

Hi

As someone who was brought up in Bath I can tell you it is a beautiful city and there is lots you can do.

Definitely go see the Roman Baths - they are lovely in the evening when the torches are lit. Next to the Baths is the Abbey which is pretty impressive and nearby there are lots of cobbled streets with great shops and little cafes.

Walking away from the Roman Baths you can head towards the Parade Gardens - beautiful gardens that overlook the river and the weir. Not far from there is Pultney Bridge which again has lots of interesting shops and some nice restaurants.

If you like buildings there is The Royal Crescent which faces onto Victoria Park which is lovely in the summer although often packed at the weekend with people sun bathing. The park and Royal Crescent is within walking distance of the town centre.

You can see a lot of this and hear the history by going on the guided open top bus tour which are run pretty regularly around the city. Or you can do the horse and cart ride - you will pay through the nose but they do give you a good potted guide and taste of the city.

Milsom Place and Milsom street have lots of designer shops and nice restaurants. I can recommend the Moon and Sixpence for lunch or dinner and definitely Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant which offers really nice food for a reasonable price.

There's a few museums as well. The Jane Austen Centre if you are a fan of Austen and the Costume museum is fascinating if you are interested in clothes and fashion throughout the ages.

Just outside of Bath there is a lot of beautiful countryside and it's not far too lovely villages such as Bibury and even Stonehenge.

Definitely worth a visit!

Fruitysunshine Tue 11-Aug-09 19:51:06

Thingiebob - thanks very much! I like the idea of the costume museum, the Roman Baths and the shops on the cobbled streets! How romantic!

We are there for 4 days and 3 nights so it sounds like we have plenty to look forward too!

I will print this off for reference! Many thanks ladies!

YouLukaAmazing Tue 11-Aug-09 19:54:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now