Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone in manchester, or who knows Manchester and the Old Trafford Cricket Ground?

(26 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 03-Aug-09 16:59:25

Can you tell me which one of these is closest to it, and how easy it is to get to, TIA smile

Cheadle
Bury
Hyde
Ashton
Didsbury

Lilymaid Mon 03-Aug-09 17:03:31

Cheadle and Didsbury are nearest. Are you going by public transport or car?

stubbyfingers Mon 03-Aug-09 17:06:44

it's on the tram line so very accessible from other places.

MarthaFarquhar Mon 03-Aug-09 17:13:58

Tram not working currently - for about 6 weeks I think.

It's much nearer to the centre of town than any of those places. Didsbury would be the nearest though.

mosschops30 Mon 03-Aug-09 17:41:33

Great thanks smile

We are looking for somewhere to stay weekend of sept 11th and 12th. Have good 2 night deals at the Village's but when I look on route planner it places them all at equal distances from the cricket ground, that cant be right surely?
Didsbury would be the most expensive option!

MarthaFarquhar Mon 03-Aug-09 17:45:05

if you are planning on getting to LCCC by tram, do check they are running as they're all up the creek at the moment.

Pan Mon 03-Aug-09 17:57:23

The Hyde one is near to the M60 junction at Denton roundabout ( A57 turn off), and so Ican see why the route planner has it just as close to LCCC. The area isn't as snobby pretty as diders, but if you are esconsed in the Village then this wouldn't matter?

Pan Mon 03-Aug-09 17:59:57

Whoops! The Ashton one is even nearer to the m-way, so I'd check that one too. ( forget there was one there and I work round the corner from it!!)

mosschops30 Mon 03-Aug-09 18:06:56

thanks maatha, will check that. Do they normally run quite late into the night? (we are going to see Coldplay, swine flu paranoia allowing grin)

thanks pan, so is the Ashton one the nearest? It looks like the nicest on the website as its new. Would we be able to tram it in from there though?

whitenoise Mon 03-Aug-09 18:16:31

Thre is no tram from ashton, will find you a map hang on ..

whitenoise Mon 03-Aug-09 18:17:05

metrolink info including all works going on

Pan Mon 03-Aug-09 18:17:50

no, no tram from ashton, but as has been said the trams may well be still off anyway.

Pan Mon 03-Aug-09 18:19:35

There is a Bury metro line though, if trams are your mode of transport....

whitenoise Mon 03-Aug-09 18:20:50

There are no trams at all during August it says on that link

mosschops30 Mon 03-Aug-09 18:23:08

But i am going in september. Do they start again after august? (must be a bugger for people who use it as their regular transport)

I dont mind what we go on, bus, tram, train whatever as long as we can get back after the concert without waiting 3 hours for an overpriced taxi. I will be 8 months pg by then so will need to get home fairly shortly aftewards grin

MarthaFarquhar Mon 03-Aug-09 18:26:44

if you want to get back quickly to any of the places mentioned, you're going to need to drive.

InTheseFetchingQuidditchRobes Mon 03-Aug-09 19:28:20

Having been to Take That at the Cricket Ground recently, I second that you will not get on a tram easily - the queues are massive, even though it is done well by the officials, and very organised.

I would drive, in which case, I would stay in Ashton or Cheadle rather than Didsbury as traffic will be heavier to there and it will not take that long to get to the M60 from the Ground. Village at Cheadle is nice, have been there on a couple of Christmas dos a few years ago.

I think the trams are back on for September IIRC as that's when holidays are over - they've shut it for August as there is less use. V inconvenient if you live here though. Have fun at Coldplay they were brill when I saw them a few years back.

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 10:15:22

Well my tickets came this morning, am I right in thinking that Lancashire County Cricket Club is the same place??
Thanks for all your suggestions, we will have the car with us but obviously driving to the ground is not an option, just as it isnt at any other major event where 1000's are expected.
Not sure what to do now!

Pan Tue 04-Aug-09 10:54:17

yes it's the same place. I go to MUFC's ground on occassion ( just down the road), and havethe same parking prob.
One answer is to drive to near the ground and park in a residential area. You can do this in an area called Firswood, which is about 10 min walk to the cricket ground. PArk somewhere there and you will be fine for a quick get away.
This would be my solution. If you find the ground on a map, Firswood is the other side of the tram line from where the LCCC ground is.

Pan Tue 04-Aug-09 11:00:11

Firswood map

hope this map works - you will see the cricket ground and Firswood.

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:11:47

pan thats fab thank you. What a great idea, we used to do that when going to Anfield. a ten minute walk is ideal, and I can drive as wont be drinking so dh will be happy smile

Thanks for this

Pan Tue 04-Aug-09 11:21:22

Anfield? ANFIELD!!!!!

oh My God. What have I done??

grin

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:36:33

lol grin

In my defence it was with an old boyfriend. Im a magpie at heart grin

Pan Tue 04-Aug-09 11:42:17

oh dear. WHAT is happening there? It's like the owners have a one city-club, a vervent fan-base, a tradition of footie in the area, some real 'stars' playing for them...and they STILL manage to turn all of that into utter failure. It's a special talent.

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:45:02

Tis because they are waiting for me to manage it! I think I'd be great grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now