Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a nice restaurant in London?

(42 Posts)
Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 16:21:16

DH and I are planning a child-free weekend in London. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant please - something really special?

Mintyy Wed 29-Jul-09 16:22:52

The Ivy

Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 16:37:29

Hmmm was thinking something less obvious? Maybe less expensive too grin

wonderingwondering Wed 29-Jul-09 16:41:23

The Cafe du Marche in Smithfield is very nice, as is the Bleeding Heart (also Smithfield). Both more low key and less pricey than the Ivy. But I think very good, my two favourites. If you go for the Bleeding Heart make sure you book the restaurant not the bistro if you're going for a treat.

time4tea Wed 29-Jul-09 18:53:00

I love Moro. Exmouth Market, so near Smithfield.

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 29-Jul-09 18:59:25

Cecconis is really nice. Just off New Bond St in the West End.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 29-Jul-09 19:01:56

Is it a romantic meal?

I second the Bleeding Heart in Smithfield/Farringdon, it's fab. Ignore all the bollocks on the website about it being a good place to entertain corporate clients, its very romantic. Like wondering says book the restaurant, not the tavern or the bistro.

Otherwise try Roast in Borough Market (stunning setting), Morgan M in Islington (small cosy one room venu; pricey but superb food) or Latinum in the West End.

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 29-Jul-09 19:08:25

Oh yes agree Roast is lovely, we had a meal there a couple of weeks ago. Delicious chicken!

MarthaFarquhar Wed 29-Jul-09 19:10:41

Bleeding Heart not open Sat/Sun
Comptoir Gascon good if you are price-focused

Andrew Edmunds also bargainous (good value champagne in particular grin)

Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 20:26:27

Thanks for all the tips. I did go to Bleeding Heart with a client once so that one's a no grin don't want to think about work when I'm having a romantic meal with DH! Any more ideas... keep them coming?

ttalloo Wed 29-Jul-09 20:31:18

Ottolenghi on Upper Street, Islington is lovely, but it's not romantic (canteen-style seating); I second Latium in the West End. The Real Greek in Hoxton is also very good, and has quite a romantic atmosphere. Have a great time, wherever you go!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 29-Jul-09 20:35:11

Well, it's a bit of a big place, London - and you're giving bits of information away 'by stealth'.

Where will you be/do you want to be?
What kind of food do you like/dislike?
How much do you want to spend?
Where do you not want us to recommend?

MrsMattie Wed 29-Jul-09 20:50:47

Osteria Basilico on Kensington Park Rd - cosy Italian, fabulous authentic food, definitely need to book at weekends. Good area for a drink before/afterwards around Notting Hill/Portobello.

Gilgamesh in Camden is pricey but food's nice and cocktails are great.

Another pricey one, but well worth it, is Hakkasan.

The Blue Elephant in Fulham is a great Thai restaurant in Fulham, very OTT decor, gorgeous food. Again, pricey.

Odette's in Primrose Hill - modern European food, not cheap, nice for a summer's eve as close to the park and opposite a great pub. Limonia is a lovely Greek restaurant directly opposite.

Zuma in Knightsbridge is a glam Japanese, great for a special occasion

Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 21:05:35

We'll be in the West End. We've just decided that we'll probably go for a nice boozy lunch rather than dinner as we have other plans for the evening. We like all kinds of food really, and have no set ideas on how much we want to spend - if it's really worth it, I don't mind spending up to £150 on 3 courses including wine. We did once go to a place that was recommended by Time Out in this price range and the food was rubbish. I have also been to several allegedly good restaurants for business lunches and wasn't particularly impressed (Quo Vadis, Buddha Bar). That's why I am asking Mumsnet - I trust you people more!

MarthaFarquhar Wed 29-Jul-09 21:09:04

www.arbutusrestaurant.co.uk/arbutus

j sheekey

MarthaFarquhar Wed 29-Jul-09 21:11:44

first link again?

ForExample Wed 29-Jul-09 21:12:50

Agree with Andrew Edmunds and my other favourite adult restuarant is the Quality Chop House (not west end though), have heard good things about Arbutus too.

Or out of the west end, Chez Bruce is yum.

Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 21:13:35

Zuma sounds good, as does Hakkasan - do they do lunch?

I did like the Bleeding Heart so anything similar would work.

DH just said he'd be happy to go back to Le Caprice. Apparently he went a few years ago and loved it.

He's said no to Oxo Tower and Quaglino's because he thinks they are overpriced for what they are.

Ahhh he's hard to please...

ForExample Wed 29-Jul-09 21:13:55

yy Latinum also good, lovely italian round the back of oxford street-ish.

Rindercella Wed 29-Jul-09 21:16:46

He's spot on about Oxo Tower & Quaglino's smile

TheWorstWitch Wed 29-Jul-09 21:19:25

Andrew Edmunds is very cosy and reasonably priced. DH and I spent one of our best wedding anniversary lunches there.

Morgan M's in Islington is horribly pretentious - we hated it.

Schulte Wed 29-Jul-09 21:19:40

Oh, I love the look of Arbutus! Andrew Edmunds sounds good too.

snickersnack Wed 29-Jul-09 21:20:50

For lunch in the West End - Vasco and Pierro in Soho. Fabulous Italian food, very relaxed, lovely staff. Not super pricey but not cheap.

MrsMattie Wed 29-Jul-09 21:20:53

Not sure if Hakkasan / Zuma do lunch...?

Never been to Quaglino's, but the food at Oxo isn't great.

MollieO Wed 29-Jul-09 21:21:08

Le Caprice? Lovely at lunch and less of a 'scene' than in the evenings. Never had a bad meal there and not outrageously expensive.

Doh, just seen you've mentioned Le Caprice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now