Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Jersey?

(13 Posts)
Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Jul-09 10:44:48

We are off there on our jollys - tell me everything i need to know and were to go and eat CHEAPLY but nicely with a 2.5 yr old, a 6 yr old and a tight arsed dh?

word Mon 27-Jul-09 16:12:18

Take your passport so you can do a day trip to Saint Malo!

Jersey Zoo if it's not too obvious, is well worth a trip.

We ate in our hotel, so no help there, I'm afraid...

Beach at St Brelade's Bay was our favourite.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Jul-09 18:24:04

Thanks - no passports here so no saint malo for us. ooooooooo the zoo.

Anyone else?

idobelieveinfairies Mon 27-Jul-09 18:44:56

Plemont Beach makes a lovely visit, lovely big caves and deep pools left for the little children to play in. Mine call it 'the magic beach'.

The Railway Walk is lovely with lots of wildlife.

The zoo is great, but the food is expensive there so if you are on a budget you might want to take a packed lunch with you.

There are many Taverns in which to eat..and they have indoor and outdoor play areas for the children.

There is a BBQ place in Gorey which is lovely..(i think it is still there).

The castles are a great visit..Elizabeth Castle you can go to on a 'duck', the children would love that.

Good museums..walks along St Aubin..or there is a little train that goes along which the children like.

ummmm......beaches, beaches and beaches.

Will think some more.....

idobelieveinfairies Mon 27-Jul-09 18:47:49

There is also 'The Battle of flowers', moonlight parade and funfair at Peoples park/west park...that is on the 2nd thursday in August time if you are here then.

makealist Mon 27-Jul-09 18:49:33

The amazing maze is a good place to visit. You can spend the whole day there.
You can even bring your own food/picnic (they have an area you can go to eat it) to save money as the cafe can be quite expensive.

Make sure you bring towels, swimming cossie, jelly type shoes as they have a great wet/hose activity that all the kids love.

www.jerseyleisure.com

RustyBear Mon 27-Jul-09 18:50:56

We were there three years ago, but our DCs were 16 & 18, so we probably went to different places. The aMaizinMaze was good - it had an adventure park as well as the maize maze.

makealist Mon 27-Jul-09 18:54:42

Coronation park/ millbrook park is also very good and also has a large, not too deep paddling pool. Very popular.

St Brelades beach is prob the best and Green island beach is also a family favourite.

If the weather is not too good there is a massive indoor play arena at Fort Regent.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Jul-09 18:56:27

oooooooo thanks this is fab smile.

Trains a hit ! i am soo looking forward to mussels in wine mmmmmmmmm. Now something dinosaur like would just perfect it but im happy with the rest - nice beaches and good food. At these taverns how much would it cost 4 to eat out would you reckon? one would be drinking lager so no bottles of vin ,,,,, one driving, so say 2 course meal for 4? one only eats steak or pies grin. Classy huh?

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Jul-09 18:57:02

Where is corry park?

HeadFairy Mon 27-Jul-09 18:58:25

The zoo is expensive, so if you're on a tight budget I'd be aware.

We went to the underground hospital which was really interesting, not sure how much it'll grip a 2.5 year old, the 6 year old might find the tunnels cool though...

Gorey castle is good to explore, and it's a really pretty harbour.

If you get a chance go to the Old Court House in St Aubin, it's what used to Diamond Lil's place in Bergerac if you're old enough to remember!!! Great atmos there, nice food too.

If they're up to it, Queen's Valley reservoir is a nice walk, it's not too long and it's a nice place for a picnic.

Would second Plemont beach, there's a fantastic cafe at the top of the cliffs, by the steps down to the beach.

Talking of food, you can't beat Big Vern's for breakfast, it's on St Ouen's beach (itself a great beach, goes on for miles and has fantastic sand dunes)

Would second St Brelades as great for a day on the beach... really lovely beach, rightfully the most popular on the island.

The cliffs on the north of the island are great for walking but only if you're happy with your 2.5 year old walking around there as they are high cliffs and there aren't too many handrails at the edge.

Corbiere lighthouse is also worth a look, craggy shoreline, picture post card lighthouse... free !!

There are lots of Martello towers and gun towers left over from the war dotted around the island (the Martello towers are actually Napoleonic but were used by the Germans too) which the children might like to scramble around in.

Dh is from Jersey, so we've been there a good few times!! Can't wait til ds is a bit older to appreciate where his dad's from!

makealist Mon 27-Jul-09 19:59:33

Millbrook park is along Victoria Avenue, near Bel Royal, But I think any of the airport buses will take you past it

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 27-Jul-09 20:02:59

thanks smile. Am all excited now - just need to get over the crapping myself about flying bit blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now