Talk

Advanced search

Newcastle or Carsilse - where to stop between Sheffield and St Andrews?

(16 Posts)
Katz Wed 22-Jul-09 14:19:49

which is better?

We're travelling to St Andrews for the weekend and want to break the journey, which would be better for an over night stop?

midnightexpress Wed 22-Jul-09 14:23:18

There are some lovely wee places between Newcastle and Edinburgh - North Berwick is lovely. Or do you prefer a city?

juneybertiebottsbean Wed 22-Jul-09 14:25:07

Newcastle I think because Carlisle is on t'other side isn't it, presumably you're going up the A1

fatjac Wed 22-Jul-09 16:04:04

It only takes about 5 hours. I would rather have an extra night in St Andrews.

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 16:17:56

North of Newcastle i would say.

If you are going to St Andrews with children i highly recommend Craigtoun Country Park for something to do. We were in that area on hpols and had a fab afternoon there.

Katz Wed 22-Jul-09 18:08:34

thanks - sorry had guests

We're staying with friends in Anstruther just outside St Andrews, fri/sat, - hence somewhere on route as St Andrews for the weekend is a little bit far for the girls (4 and 6.5).

will google craigtoun park.

What's at Beriwck?

Hulababy Wed 22-Jul-09 18:12:19

Plenty to do in Newcastle with the girls, just depends if you want a city stop or somewhere countryside out.

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:44:09

We stayed in Anstruther...was fab. The chippy was fab, well worth the best in the UK title!

Fimbo Wed 22-Jul-09 20:47:47

We are travelling from Norfolk up that way on Saturday. It will take us well over 8hrs.

We did stay over once, but dh feels it just makes the journey even more tedious as you have to get up and start again the next day.

We stayed at the Durham Travelodge when we did our stop.

Dibbdobb Wed 22-Jul-09 20:58:10

North Berwick - sea bird centre, lovely sandy beach, great ice cream deffinately recommend and will take 3.5hrs from Sheffield on a clear run (drove Edinburgh to Barnsley at least once a month for 4yrs!). Could try Northumberland and have a trip to lindisfarne. Also recommend Mainsgill Farm shop and cafe for lunch/gooey cake stop. It's about 5 miles from scotch corner on A66 - great food but DDs will love the camel alpacas emues donkeys trampoline and ride on tractors!! Worth the slight detour if you're going A1.

St Andrews try Tentsmuir Forrest for a huge beach and seals if you're there at right time of year.

Katz Wed 22-Jul-09 22:54:28

thanks for all those - keep them coming please

juneybertiebottsbean Wed 22-Jul-09 23:42:02

There's a holiday inn in Washington (on A1) and you can get to Saltwell Park which is great for the kids.

Ponders Wed 22-Jul-09 23:51:14

google maps does suggest going via Manc to Carlisle - interestingly hmm grin - I suppose because it's nearly all motorway that way, & if you go up the east coast the motorway stops at Newcastle. The Carlisle route is 320 miles, just under 6 hours; the coastal route 311 miles, just over 6 hours; the inland route 293 miles, a few more minutes over 6 hours.

I would still go up the E side though & either follow the coast road, & stop somewhere seasidey (eg Bamburgh), or go inland through the National Park & stop in Otterburn or Jedbergh. Coast road nicest drive probably & lots of places to stop (including the Harry Potter castle at Alnwick).

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 00:16:11

Newcastle if you want a city stop - take the kids to Seven Stories, The Centre for Life, The Baltic, over the new bridge.
You could then travel down the coast through Northumberland - an amazing drive!

juneybertiebottsbean Thu 23-Jul-09 13:02:22

I just did a quick google map sheffield to edinburgh and it took me via the A1 (which takes you through newcastle)

juneybertiebottsbean Thu 23-Jul-09 13:03:30

Ah ignore me, when I pulled it up towards St Andrew's it took me via Carlisle.

Newcastle is way better anyways go that way lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now