Talk

Advanced search

Where to stay and/or visit around Bridgwater or Weston-Super-Mare?

(8 Posts)
copycat Sun 19-Jul-09 19:32:22

Can anyone suggest somewhere nice to stay just for one night in or around the Bridgwater or Weston area (or maybe slightly further afield)? My husband and I are driving DS1 and a friend to a camp in Otterhampton next month and have decided to stay overnight with DS2 before travelling back the next day.

After dropping off the older boys we will have a full afternoon/evening and morning to visit the local area so I would also appreciate suggestions of any pretty local villages to visit for lunch or coffee or (if the weather is kind) any nice beaches for a stroll. Thank you.

OrmIrian Sun 19-Jul-09 19:46:04

You could try Cannington - I think there is a nice hotel called The Priory (??). Or Combwich - which is basically Otterhampton. Nether Stowey is pretty. Halswell House in Goathurst is lovely. Avoid Bridgie itself wink I live there but I know it's not to many peoples' taste. Stogursey also is pretty.

Please be aware that the beaches are mud/pebbles so good for fossils and geological interest but not pretty. Quantocks Hills are lovely though.

Google Halswell House, or any of the villages I've mentioned.

copycat Mon 20-Jul-09 18:27:47

Thank you OrmIrian, that's really helpful information. I love a quintissential English village smile

saggyhairyarse Mon 20-Jul-09 22:40:48

http://www.cadburyhotelbristol.co.uk/

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 20-Jul-09 22:45:56

Wedmore is nice and Banwell Castle does (well it used to) lovely chocolate muffins.

If you're going to do the beach I'd head towards Uphill, you can walk up the hill just by the boat yard and it's much more peaceful than Weston .

Rachmumoftwo Mon 20-Jul-09 23:04:37

Cheddar Gorge is nice for walks and cheese

copycat Wed 22-Jul-09 11:24:03

Thank you for all these ideas smile

copycat Tue 28-Jul-09 22:42:56

OrmIrian we have booked a B&B in Cannington so thanks for that recommendation. Do you happen to know a nice pub in that area (say within 5 miles or so) for dinner? Have noted all the suggestions for pretty villages to visit and might go to Banwell Castle too as DS2 is interested in history (and I am interested in chocolate muffins grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now