Talk

Advanced search

Peak District in the rain - suggestions please :-)

(13 Posts)
futurity Fri 17-Jul-09 09:53:11

We are off to stay near Alton Towers tomorrow for a week and I am sitting here in front of my list of things to do which are mostly outside :-) Don't get me wrong..we are hardy and quite used to gearing up for wet weather holidays (although last year we had the Olympics to get us through it!). So any suggestions for things to do in the rain with a 7 year old and 4 year old boys?

futurity Fri 17-Jul-09 12:35:52

rainy thundery bump

Lilymaid Fri 17-Jul-09 12:41:08

There is a swimming/leisure pool complex called Waterworld in Stoke.

DidEinsteinsMum Fri 17-Jul-09 12:42:40

Where you are in the peaks gives to access to both the derbyshire side and the manchester side so it depends on a) whether you mind travelling a few miles or b) what sort of things that you like to do. We like to hand out in Bakewell as you can watch the fish fight the ducks for the bread if you know where to stand. Plus we love to go into manchester to the science musuem and the manchester museum. Derbysire has the Tram museum there are tonns but if you could narrow down the answers to a and b can offer a few more targeted suggestions.

DidEinsteinsMum Fri 17-Jul-09 12:43:11

Where you are in the peaks gives to access to both the derbyshire side and the manchester side so it depends on a) whether you mind travelling a few miles or b) what sort of things that you like to do. We like to hand out in Bakewell as you can watch the fish fight the ducks for the bread if you know where to stand. Plus we love to go into manchester to the science musuem and the manchester museum. Derbysire has the Tram museum there are tonns but if you could narrow down the answers to a and b can offer a few more targeted suggestions.

futurity Fri 17-Jul-09 12:45:30

We are staying just outside Alton village. DH prepared to drive for about an hour he says as he doesn't want to spend the whole holiday driving around - fair enough I suppose!

gingertoo Fri 17-Jul-09 12:50:10

The various caves around the Peak District are good when it's wet. The one at Castleton with the underground boat ride would be brilliant for your boys.
Heights of Abraham at Matlock Bath is also good. The cable car ride up to the top is brilliant. My boys loved it. Once you are at the top there are more caves to explore, indoor exhibits and some nice outdoor bits if the sun comes out.
There is the Peak Railway too. I think it goes from Matlock. You can ride on an old stream train.
Chatsworth House is good. The house is good if it's wet and the kids farm park and adventure playground are perfect if you get a bit of dry weather.

Can you tell I've spent many rainy weeks in the Peak District?!

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Jul-09 12:54:29

caves, caves, more caves

Mining Museum at Matlock Bath, v interesting and has an excellent fake mineshaft to scurry through, up, down, round bends. Not good for those with claustrophobia though!

Wendoline Fri 17-Jul-09 12:56:28

Hi, I'm off for my second annual holiday with my step-sons who are 11 and 7. We're going to be camping in that area too and I've learnt from last year's experience to be prepared for the rain!

I'm bringing pens, pencils, lots of paper and some stencils (which the 7 year old loves). I've made sure we have a tent in which we can set up a table. I'm bringing cards, books (Asterix books always a favourite) and possibly a board game. I was also thinking of bringing my knots book. I'm not sure how much the boys will be interested but it might keep me sane. The 12 year old is easier, send him off with a fishing rod and he's content for hours.

Last year we played the 'name game'. One person starts and thinks of a name, e.g. Michael Jackson. The next person has to think of a name beginning with J. Names can have any origin but must be genuine and recognised by at least one other person. If someone uses a 'double' e.g. Bill Bryson, then the direction changes. It kept our two going for hours and hours, especially on the car journeys.

I thought I might try a day at a riding school with them too.

futurity Fri 17-Jul-09 13:01:50

wow! thank you for all your replies and your good ideas..and respect to you Wendoline for camping! Didn't realise there were so many caves..we went to Wooky Hole last year (in the rain!) and the boys loved that. I had Heights of Abraham as a dry day thing so it is good to here that it will suit all weathers.

DidEinsteinsMum Fri 17-Jul-09 13:03:54

I wouldnt advise banking on the cave with the boat at castleton as when it rains a lot it often floods and they have to close it. I think last summer it spent most of the time underwater wink.

It depends whether you have boys or girls or tomboys (ativity wise). There is peak rail, for walking there is man tor just outside castleton, try this here and i will dig map out for a quick geography check and get back to you. Driving wise can be a bit hit and miss, a lot of roads have at temp speed limits on. I am just outside peaks and can get to Alton towers in about 1 1/2 you could go to a station and get into manchester in about 1hr(ish) on the train if you get really stuck due to weater. Will go think...

Astrophe Fri 17-Jul-09 13:09:26

There is a great softplay (called Chucklebutties) in Belper - if things get really bad! Nice cafe there too.

futurity Fri 17-Jul-09 19:19:53

any more tips before I print this thread and add it to my holiday notes (I am so organised!) wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now