Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for a Centreparc style holiday which is not like Centreparcs?

(16 Posts)
Tilberry Wed 15-Jul-09 11:52:27

I know this sounds bonkers but I hate Centreparcs, to me it's a bit like one of those Nazi propaganda films where everyone is doing aerobics and smiling- plus it's so expensive once you're trapped in there and I ended up feeling like I was being ripped off. (rant over)

But... we've a 10yr old and a baby and need entertainment for DD1 who loved CPs but I'd prefer something more relaxed. I've spent hours on the net but am stuck- we need to stay in the UK and central or East England would be best.
Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks so much

Prosecco Wed 15-Jul-09 23:46:25

too similar?

Greensleeves Wed 15-Jul-09 23:47:03

Butlins!!

fortyplus Wed 15-Jul-09 23:48:15

Go to Centerparcs in Holland instead - fewer tattoos and much cheaper!

pinkteddy Wed 15-Jul-09 23:51:29

Park resorts? park resorts. I wouldn't say its relaxed particularly but certainly not the emphasis on fresh air and exercise!

DadInsteadofMum Thu 16-Jul-09 09:37:46

A second vote for CP in Holland - cheaper (even allowing for weak pound and travel costs) and I have always found the staff much friendlier.

I always say that CP in Holland is what CP in the UK would be like if you believed the advertising!

branflake81 Thu 16-Jul-09 12:26:14

We used to go here when I was a child. Not sure what it's like now though. Sorry - not terribly helpful!

http://www.sandy-balls.co.uk/

serinBrightside Fri 17-Jul-09 18:25:26

Try looking through the Hoseasons brochure, loads of choice there, from log chalets in the country to huge dodgy Pontin's type places.

Or John Fowler if you like Devon/Cornwall.

justbeme Mon 20-Jul-09 23:15:33

I went to Butlins last month - to Minehead. I was abit worried - as I can be a bit fussy - but I Loved it!!
We went for a silver plus room/half board - go for that level ( silver was very cramped). Had a couple of not so good meals - but it's buffet, so you just go and get something else. I put on half a stone - so the proof is in the pudding as they say! If you want you can upgrade the eating area - so you get leather chairs and it's not so busy - but I wasn't too worried and didnt see the point in paying the extra.
In the end - we stayed there for 11 days and didnt use the car once!!
We either walked across the road to the lovely beach, walked into the town - which is very nice and not at all tacky or used the facilities in camp.
Put it this way Centre parcs quoted me nearly £1k for a weeks self catering - and my week in June half board was £420!!
It was a no brainer and Im already thinking about going back!!

suecy Tue 21-Jul-09 16:09:19

I'd second having a look at Hoseasons - they have different categories of places - some are akin to Butlins, some have absolutely nothing apart from the caravans/lodges. A really wide range of places - we tend to go for the 'lively and leisurely' categaory rather than the full on 'fun and laughter'. We've been to both lodges and caravan parks with them and would reccomend them - they have a bar and restaurant, arcade, some evening entertainment if you want it, indoor pool, outdoor play areas and some have bowling etc.

Check it out!

Fimbo Tue 21-Jul-09 16:13:47

Forestry Commission Holidays. I have a friend (who is a bit of a snob, not that I think that of you!) and loves their cabin holidays.

nannynick Tue 21-Jul-09 19:38:15

At the weekend I looked at Butlins (Bognor) prices and was actually quite shocked. For the same price as an Executive Villa at Center Parcs, at Butlins I could only get Sliver category accommodation. Date was was looking at this coming weekend, so fairly last minute booking.

Forestry Commission Holidays looks interesting but alas they don't have any places near me (though do own land near me). One reason I go to CP is that it is under a 2 hour drive away... so I can go Friday night after work.

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Tue 21-Jul-09 19:43:12

A friend of mine is about to set off for a week [http://www.featherdownfarms.co.uk here] and having nosed at the website I must say it looks great (if a little Boden-esqe)

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Tue 21-Jul-09 19:44:00

Bugger, ballsed up the link. it is here

nannynick Tue 21-Jul-09 20:01:17

Feather Down Farms looks an interesting concept and there is one close to me. But it isn't a Center Parcs replacement... no running hot water, no electrics, no free WiFi, no Aqua Sana - just to name a few. Great though if you want to Get Back To Nature.

Tilberry, Feather Down Farms would certainly be more relaxed. Though not sure I could face cooking on that cooker for a week!

hippipotamiHasLost49lbs Tue 21-Jul-09 20:15:27

I agree, it is very much 'back to basics'. I quite fancy it for a weekend break though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now