Talk

Advanced search

Family trip to London

(11 Posts)
delphinedownunder Sun 12-Jul-09 03:49:02

So, my dh are coming back to the UK from NZ for a visit for the first time in a large number of years. We left as a couple and are returning with 3 year old twins. We want to spend a couple of nights in London, a city that we didn't know very well even when we were UK based (being from Up North). So does anyone have any tips for places to visit, inexpensive and kid friendly places to eat and most importantly places to stay?

Starbear Sun 12-Jul-09 10:33:12

Not sure about places to stay. Have you looked at Holiday Inns apparently very cheap.
There is one in Kingston-upon-Thames which is in the town centre. The train to Waterloo takes about 35 mins straight to the London eye and the South Bank. South Bank has alot going on and you can walk to the Tate Modern along the river Or walk over the river into town Trafalgar Square & the West end. Kingston is also a bike ride, park walk bus ride away from Hampton Court. Kingston also very family friendly. Italian restaurant opp Holiday Inn. (not sure about the price) various independent and chains to go to. Also a cafe au play. Kids play parents drink coffee. Find out if you can have a holiday membership to Esporta very good pool and area where children play parent chat & have coffee
Well done my bit for my bit of London/Surrey

Frizbe Sun 12-Jul-09 10:36:08

I'd go for an aparthotel, that way once the kids are in bed you can have living space for yourselves try www.citadines.com/ they have places in london

mumonthenet Sun 12-Jul-09 10:47:50

This hotel is in a brilliant position.

I don't know when you're going but after school hols end you'd get a family room for around £100 a night.

Fab position, on the Southbank next to the London Eye, opposite Houses of Parliament. As someone said the walk along the river on the Southbank is great...lots going on. There's even a children's playground (though sometimes a bit crowded).

imho, if you're only in London for a couple of nights it pays to be in the Centre.

Starbear Sun 12-Jul-09 10:50:18

mumonthenet yes! I forgot that. It was the old county hall.

lowrib Sun 12-Jul-09 10:50:57

Kingston-upon-Thames is not really London though is it?! It's practically the countryside - it's MILES out and although it's a very pretty area, and a lovely place to live, if you come to London, you want to be in - well - London don't you?! It would make every journey in a logistical operation, and there would be no 'popping back' in the day.

If you're only there for a couple of days, I'd at least try to get central place.

If budget is important, try www.travelodge.co.uk they have cheap rooms in the City and the West end. I think they have one in Tower Hill, which would be a cool place to stay.

And having slated Kingston (sorry!) I reckon Starbear is spot on with the South Bank suggestion.

mumonthenet Sun 12-Jul-09 10:56:00

yep, the Old County Hall.....and starbear as you say the Southbank is so lively and interesting nowadays. You don't even have to spend much money....just watch the people go by!

Never stayed at the Premier Inn as the buggers do rooms for 4 but not for 5 so we ended up booking an apartment through Ownersdirect (which was fab).

Starbear Sun 12-Jul-09 10:59:57

yep! But I thought I would get the ball rolling for her!

lowrib Tue 14-Jul-09 17:52:40

delphinedownunder what time of year are you planning to come?

serinBrightside Tue 14-Jul-09 18:55:56

Watching thread with interest as we are looking for a family room for five.

If there were just the four of us we would stay at a Marriott hotel as have always found them good value and lots of them have swimming pools.

What is your budget Delphine? Have you thougt of Hilton Hotels?

serinBrightside Tue 14-Jul-09 18:59:29

Forgot to mention Youth Hostel Association
(YHA), the one in Holland Park has a garden which would be good with your 3yr olds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now