Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone here ever stayed in university accommodation in Oxford?

(16 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 03-Jul-09 20:33:59

ie, not as a student.

Which is nicest and most central?

MrsBadger Fri 03-Jul-09 20:40:38

centrality you can tell by the map

the rest is a v mixed bag

if you demand ensuite you are likely to be in a spacious but ugly modern block

if not you will be either in a tiny garret up three flights of stairs or in a wood-panelled wonder with windowseats straight out of Brideshead.

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 20:44:31

ensuite and a wood pannelled wonder would be good, with no caveats on late night drunken gigglings and crafty fags behind the bushes

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 03-Jul-09 20:46:12

So can you do tiny garret which is ensuite?

And if you go for wood pannelled wonder, what are the bathrooms actually like? Are they several miles awaay for instance?

MrsBadger Fri 03-Jul-09 20:47:58

have never seen panelled with ensuite (at leats not for students)
bathrooms will be miles down hall with antique mahoganay seats and brass chains
garrets not usually ensuite either

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 20:50:10

urgh

I think modern and spacious will be the way to go

Thank you Mrs B, great stuff

frisbyrat Fri 03-Jul-09 20:53:15

Balliol's Holywell Manor is old and has one ensuite room. Jowett Walk is all modern and nice ensuites. Dunno if the college rents them out, though.

blithedance Fri 03-Jul-09 20:53:29

If anything like Cambridge, the old college rooms are arranged on staircases (say 10-20 rooms on 3 floors). There will be a shower or bathroom and 1 or 2 wc's on each landing. Plumbing may be elderly but will function. Most of the bedrooms will have random washbasins. The college will have a minority of really lovely suites with ensuite facilities usually reserved for rich and privileged students.

Authentic Oxford experience though, who wants to feel like they are in a Travelodge?

MrsBadger Fri 03-Jul-09 20:54:37

no worries

what are you going for? is it fun? can I come and laugh and point support you?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 03-Jul-09 20:57:18

I quite fancy the authentic Brideshead bit.

Can I take a teddy bear?

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 21:04:58

Tis a girly night out sans DHs and DCs

shock

We want somewhere to crash near to the train station but near to town for tottering from the restaurant purposes

grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 03-Jul-09 21:06:20

MJ do I know you???

grin

MrsBadger Fri 03-Jul-09 21:15:25

tried the yha? tis plush

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 03-Jul-09 21:36:55

It's quite Travelodgey though isn't it. But crikey it's cheap! Which could be a deciding factor.

I think MJ and I need to do some research and debate character versus ensuite grin

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 21:56:57

Mrs B you've been v helpful, TVM

smile

ChippyMinton Tue 07-Jul-09 09:56:29

Have you booked yet? I did a girly w/e and we stayed in Keble. Authentic Brideshead style rooms ensuite looking out over the quad, and the most amazing breakfast served in the hall. Highly recommended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now