Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have your children been to a traditional British seaside?

(114 Posts)
Hulababy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:15:03

Just curious really.

7y DD has BTW.

Her school are having a whole school day out to the seaside. They can't wait; the girls are very excited. They are visiting a "besde the seaside" museum, taking buckets and spades to the beach, having fish and chips for lunch and having ice creams in the afternoon before heading home.

I know a few of the classes have been looking at coastal seasides around the UK as part of various aspects of the curriculum, geography, etc.

Also what came out is that there are a suprising number of children who haven't been to a traditional british seaside before.

I wondered if this is quite common for modern children. Do they have all these fab holidays abroad, but rarely visit their own seaside resorts?

So, have your children experienced our seasides?

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 14:18:44

Mine expereience the tranditonal British Seaside every year.

I guess that if you are no-where near the cost it is a bit harder.

HeadFairy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:18:55

We went to Jersey at the end of May for a friend's wedding and we spent the day on St Brelade's beach and ds had what was probably the best day of his life. He absolutely loved the freedom (no roads or cars to worry about so he just ran around all day) he loved making an absolute mess in the sand, he's a bit young for sandcastles (21 months) but he loved digging holes in the sand and he loved the rock pools too.

I'm not sure if it counts as traditional British seaside, but as DH is from Jersey so I definitely think we'll have to make it an annual trip, even if it's just a long weekend, so ds can have a seaside experience.

sassy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:20:24

Ooh yes, specifically Minehead, Teignmouth, Torbay and bits of South Wales.

Always fish and chips, ice cream/cream tea; probably crazy golf, rounders on the sand, burying dad etc.

(they haven't been on hols abroad yet, except DLand Paris)

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 12-Jun-09 14:21:23

We live there so yes!

andiem Fri 12-Jun-09 14:22:29

yes we have a place in bournemouth so we go almost every weekend in the summer and all the holidays

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 12-Jun-09 14:23:06

We go constantly, but we live about 45 mins away and dh grew up by the sea.
One of my colleagues at work who has young children was planning to take his family recently for the first time - they live in the Midlands and are British Indian so they usually go abroad to see family for holidays and it wasn't really surprising they hadn't been for daytrips. I think if you're not in easy daytrip range it's not that surprising. Though it is a pity, of course!

OddHair Fri 12-Jun-09 14:23:36

Yes, mine are all well-acquainted with the British seaside. In sun, rain or snow. We're fairly frequent visitors to North and mid-Wales beaches, and also have hols in Pembrokeshire and Somerset.

They all love it.

sassy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:25:03

Oddhaie - from that list I'm guessong you are West Mids. So are we - these are the bits of coast all west midlanders seem to go for!

sassy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:25:48

<Humph>

Oddhair*
and
*guessing

ProfYaffle Fri 12-Jun-09 14:26:39

Oh yes. pil live on the coast just near Great Yarmouth so we're there every few weeks.

OrmIrian Fri 12-Jun-09 14:27:41

Yes. Haven't really experienced any other kind as yet.

Hulababy Fri 12-Jun-09 14:30:01

We, and the school, are in Sheffield so we are pretty landlocked. I guess it generally takes a couple of hours for us to get to the coast.

dingledangle Fri 12-Jun-09 14:30:29

Yes as we live by the sea we see it every day and go and collect pebbles come rain or shine!

It is a great place to live in the Summer. No need to go away. We tend to go away in the Winter time as it is too nice to miss.

Fresh sea air too.

stripeypineapple Fri 12-Jun-09 14:30:49

DD has been plenty of times, she loves it and so do I.

juuule Fri 12-Jun-09 14:32:09

Yes, ours have.

However, they've never had a holiday abroad.

MaryBS Fri 12-Jun-09 14:32:31

Yes, we've been abroad too, but we go to Woolacombe, Nth Devon nearly every year because the beach is so beautiful, there are rock pools to play in, and there's not much in the way of "pester power opportunities"

School usually does a trip to "Sunny Hunny" as well, for KS1.

geekgirl Fri 12-Jun-09 14:38:02

yes - we have a motorhome and go away most weekends, the seaside is always a popular destination.
I grew up by the Baltic sea so I am a bit spoilt - I find the British seaside rather depressing hmm.

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 16:31:07

Arrhhh "Sunny Hunny"...was the dayrtip resort of my childhood smile

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:33:31

Message withdrawn

ruddynorah Fri 12-Jun-09 16:34:25

yes. scarborough. and we're off to newquay tomorrow.

ohdearwhatamess Fri 12-Jun-09 16:38:55

Mine are only 3 and 1 yo, but haven't yet visited a traditional British seaside resort. Can't imagine doing so, tbh.

They've been (briefly) to beaches in Cornwall, but they were more the deserted, rugged and scenic type of beach.

I reckon we're about 3 hours drive away from a seaside resort.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Fri 12-Jun-09 17:02:23

We are in Bedfordshire which is not near any bits of seaside. When we go to see my mum and dad in Liverpool we generally go to either Formby or Crosby.

I do sometimes wish we lived nearer the sea [wistful emoticon]

Himbo Fri 12-Jun-09 17:11:46

Live in Norwich so handy for the North Norfolk coast.

My two love the dive that is Gt Yarmouth.

Southwold is nice.

Also parents in law are in Scotland and have a stoney beach at the end of their street.

Himbo Fri 12-Jun-09 17:13:21

This is at the end of my pil street!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now