Talk

Advanced search

Butlins ??

(17 Posts)
macdoodle Sat 06-Jun-09 11:10:45

Ok am I barking to be considering this!!
My divorce is rendering me absolutely totally skint (teetering dangerously close to bankruptcy) - we are in desperate need of a break this summer (I have 2 DDs, DD1 nearly 8, and DD2 18 months)!
My lovely lovely new DP has offered to take us all on holiday, now he is doing ok(good job minimal outgoings no kids), but I feel pretty bad accepting this offer anyway and certainly dont want to take the piss as he will almost certainly pay for everything while we are away as well!
Will need to be UK (XH wont let me take DDs out of country no way), I have looked at cottages, caravans etc and even the cheapest are about a grand!!!!
However,DD1 keeps seeing the adverts for Butlins on TV and raving how cool it looks, so I snuck a look online..........and it actually doesnt look that bad !
We could do a midweek break 4 nights (which may be better than poor DP having my loony kids all week) for less than £600 !!

moondog Sat 06-Jun-09 11:12:09

Go for it.
If the kids are happy, so will you be.

moondog Sat 06-Jun-09 11:12:18

Go for it.
If the kids are happy, so will you be.

Disenchanted3 Sat 06-Jun-09 11:12:34

Ive just been to Haven, in a 'prestige' caravan (3 bedroom, dvd player, tv etc ...) mon-fri it cost us £200 for me, DH & 3 kids under 5.

It was fab

2anddone Sat 06-Jun-09 20:26:54

There are always offers on for Butlins and Haven so you might even get it cheaper. Butlins is better entertainment imo we went last Oct and loved it!

Bubbaloo Sun 07-Jun-09 23:31:04

We went to Butlins last year and loved it so much,that we're going again on Friday,for a week.
Have also been to nearly all the Haven sites and imho there's definately more going on during the day with Butlins,which is what we like,although does work out quite expensive.
Definately worth going though,if you can do it for less than £600-sounds like a bargainwink.

JudithCole Mon 08-Jun-09 21:31:26

Hi,

Don't know if you would be interested, I have a caravan at Butlins Minehead, this is on site and is situated at the rear of the camp , you get the use of all Butlins facilties within the cost of the holiday.

I only have one summer holiday week left, this is saturday 18th July for 7 nights, the cost is £650.00 plus a £75.00 bond. the bond is refunded by cheque in the post once the caravan has been cleaned and checked for damages after you leave,

i have available dates early july and september onwards if you want to think about going outside school holiday time, these are cheaper breaks.

Judith

lizzy77 Tue 09-Jun-09 19:49:46

I always thought Butlins would be cheap and tacky but then i went with the kids and we had a great time.

Bubbaloo Tue 09-Jun-09 23:26:36

I was Butlins was cheap-we've paid just under £1,000 for the week,but thoroughly enjoyed it last yearwink.

Bubbaloo Tue 09-Jun-09 23:27:06

wish,evenblush.

fificasey1 Mon 15-Jun-09 14:20:16

hi

we stayed in butlins last may brillant for the kids but is very expensive for august but if he's paying go for it you will enjoy the break and the kids will get to bond with bf

Jamiesmum27 Fri 19-Jun-09 09:47:04

Id say go for it!!! We've just looked at going to Butlins with our 3 children. We went the other year and stayed in a silver self catering appartment and we all had a fab time the kids loved it (and so did mum n dad Lol) Looked to go this year this time with Summer (16months) who wasnt born th elast time we went. Did an online quote and was shocked to see that for 4 nights they wanted over £860!!!!! shock It was no where near that much last time we went. Im gutted cuz we cant afford that this year. WEe are looking at caravan resorts now as they are much more affordable. So if hes paying Id deff go!!!

lynniep Mon 22-Jun-09 16:50:16

Butlins does seem very expensive, but you can use Tesco deals if you collect clubcard points.

am considering it at the moment.

LoveBuckets Tue 30-Jun-09 11:39:11

<<Shudders>> We came home a night early as it was just so depressing!sad You can only put up for so long hearing people screaming foul language at their kids (everywhere, not just overheard from their appartments!) And don't get me started on the drunken grannies falling over pissed by 7pm...

Why not try camping? Then you can just laugh at all the Guardian reader parents you overhear grin.

fatjac Tue 30-Jun-09 14:04:54

I just cant make up my mind about these places.

Part of me thinks that the boys would love it and if they are happy then I would be happy.

Then there is my inner snob telling me that I would just hate it and we should stick to Centre Parcs or a lovely cottage.

justbeme Mon 20-Jul-09 23:21:30

Price up silver "plus" half board in Minehead - and I don't think you can go wrong. Not so sure about peak season though - I went in June and my snob factor made me make a "joke" at telling people where I was going on holiday. However, I was suitably impressed, so much so that we booked another 4 nights whilst there. It was either nearly £1k for self catering in Centre parcs or only £420 for half board in Butlins.

justbeme Mon 20-Jul-09 23:29:11

Just priced up the same holiday I had in June for £420 for 2 adults and 1 infant - and its gone up from £420 to £522 for a week on 24th August. So still quite reasonable. Looks like the silver plus sells out quickly though. (You get a mini fridge in the room - which is great for keeping milk/beer and wine in !!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now