Talk

Advanced search

Isle of Wight Accomodation

(10 Posts)
weddingcake Thu 04-Jun-09 19:56:12

Hoping to go to the Isle of Wight with DS 2 and DD 10weeks in July and wondered if anyone could recommend some self catering accomodation or failing that could tell me which would be the best areas for me to look in as I don't know the island at all.

Am open to anything - caravan/cottage/chalet on holiday park but would quite like to be within walking distance of a sandy beach...oh and some form of laundry facility!

CherryChoc Tue 09-Jun-09 19:32:58

Fairway caravan park is quite good. Not sure how far the beach is as we always drive (sorry, v unhelpful!) I'm sure if you ring them or look at the website they would be helpful, nice people.

kitycat Wed 10-Jun-09 21:57:21

Hi sandhills holiday park at whitecliff bay near bembridge. You need a car 'cos its out of the way but has a beautiful private sandy beach very quiet clean site. Weve been loads of times vans clean and well equipped.lots of space to play and a good laundrette.

Dysgu Wed 10-Jun-09 22:43:11

I live on the Isle of Wight and think you probably want to head towards the south east of the island.

We have 2.9yo and 5mo and we love days out in places like Shanklin and Ventnor. Shanklin has a couple of Park Resorts - we had a lovely long weekend at Lower Hyde when we were having work done on the house and I was pg.

Both sites are right by the [small] town and easy walking to the beach but there is also a road train (which we rarely use but which DD1 loves!)

Also there is plenty to do in Shanklin - beach is sandy and clean, amusements, soft play place, Shanklin chine, huge park with play area just beyond the Old Village, lovely places to eat - very child friendly. and there is a Lidl and a Co-op for shopping just minutes from the caravan site.

If you are coming by public transport then it is all very easy (but buses are expensive compared to most places on the mainland.) Oh and you can catch the train from Shanklin to other places to visit on that side of the island too.

Whatever you decide, nowhere is that far from anywhere (unless you get stuck in the traffic for the festival this weekend!)

Kiwinyc Fri 12-Jun-09 15:30:17

Gurnard Pines is supposed to be quite nice now? Have no idea where it is on the island but heard its been done up recently and we're thinking of it for a short break next year.

ultra Fri 12-Jun-09 21:29:45

Shanklin is the place with young children - perfect beach and you might want to hire a beach hut - saves having to carry everything to beach each day and is also fun for children + use for naps in day when at beach - ring up IOW tourist board and ask for accomodation available for the week you want

weddingcake Sat 13-Jun-09 12:35:42

Thanks for all the suggestions - am really looking forward to going now!

MizZan Tue 16-Jun-09 01:25:19

picking up on this again...we are also looking to go in July and have never been, have a 3 yo and 7 yo. options appear to be Ventnor, Bembridge, Cowes, or somewhere quite rural (not leaning towards the last). Can anyone more familiar with it tell me a bit about what the differences are between these places? thanks!

micromum Sat 04-Jul-09 08:50:30

BUMP smile

fifitot Fri 17-Jul-09 18:19:45

Ventor is reallly pretty. Not been to the other places though - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now