Talk

Advanced search

Who knows Skye?

(15 Posts)
roisin Wed 03-Jun-09 21:16:19

We have a week in a s/c cottage booked this summer. We are right down in the far South West (Aird of Sleat, just before the road runs out!).

Our main aims are walking, relaxing and wildlife watching.

Any hints, tips or suggestions? (Apart from avoiding the midges!)

LightShinesInTheDarkness Wed 03-Jun-09 23:33:10

Will you have small DCs with you, or will you be able to get some serious walking in?

The Quiraing is worth the walk! Talisker Distillery (Talisker also has nice beach), Dunvegan Castle and Colbost Croft Museum are worth a visit.

We stayed at the lighthouse on Neist Point!

As far as wildlife is concerned, we have seen porpoise & dolphin, plenty of seals, eagles, chough, Minke whale. Sadly not an otter, but you will hopefully be lucky.

Its a fab place - enjoy!

Twinklemegan Wed 03-Jun-09 23:40:16

The boat trip into the Cuillins from Elgol. I've never done it but it's on my things to do before I die wish list. We're only 3 hours away fgs! Boat trips at Dunvegan are good for close up seal watching.

LightShines - I've stayed on Skye in a cottage just down the road from there!

Nyx Wed 03-Jun-09 23:43:41

I don't know Skye but am from Lewis - and I recommend Avon Skin-So-Soft for keeping away the midgies, it's unbeatable grin

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 04-Jun-09 00:03:07

lol Nyx!

Twinkle - when we were at Neist Point, people had built all these amazing cairns in weird shapes. Are they still there?

Twinklemegan Thu 04-Jun-09 00:05:38

I don't remember them. It was at least 15 years ago that I was there.

roisin Thu 04-Jun-09 18:19:47

Ooh lovely! I've ordered the skin-so-soft.

Dh fancies the Talisker tour.

The boys are 10 and 12, but walk fairly slowly. They are happy-ish to keep going and cover some distance, but reluctant to go up very far!

We've spent time on Mull in recent years, and have seen lots of wildlife - all you mention including (wild) otter grin wink - so we do know what we're looking for. We've only seen choughs in Ireland though, so dh will be very excited if he sees them.

I'm off to look up some of these places now. Thanks for all the tips.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 04-Jun-09 18:34:55

Avoid the boutique where the ferry comes in, unless you like handmade Scottish cashmere wink There is also a good cafe there. Surprisingly good.

Claire McDonald's place is great to have a look around.

Talisker Tour: You cannot take children under a certain age, I can't remember the minimum. But find out as they wouldn't even let 4 month old DD go on it, even though she was in a sling and I promised to make sure she didn't have any whiskey! wink There aren't many other places around the distillery.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 04-Jun-09 18:37:58

are you staying here?

roisin Thu 04-Jun-09 18:41:47

No, but it's very near there. The one you linked to is a left turn after the phone box in Aird, ours is on the right after the phone box!

roisin Thu 04-Jun-09 18:43:52

Thanks for the tip about Talisker. I've just checked and the children have to be at least 8. Mine are 10 and 12, so should be OK. (They don't get to taste it though!)

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 04-Jun-09 21:08:12

What a small world! Tip: the link of the cottage where we stayed, is a public footpath. Follow it and there's a small secluded beach. Try and time running into the fishermen who have the lobster/crab pots out. We were getting whole crabs/lobsters for £1.00! Bring your own lobster pot!!!

You've got me thinking about going back there now!

roisin Thu 04-Jun-09 21:27:01

Hey! That's amazing.
We'd heard about the lovely beach at the end of the peninsular.

What about the shoreline right by Aird. Is there an accessible stretch of rocks/rock pools? I'm thinking of ways for the boys to entertain themselves for hours at a time?!

What time of year did you go and was it very busy?

littlejacksmum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:06:00

I'd agree Quirang is fantastic. Kilt Rock is well worth some photos, gorgeous scenery, beautiful place.

Mytholmroyd Wed 15-Jul-09 23:25:57

They might like to go down High Pasture Cave near Torrin
http://www.high-pasture-cave.org/ Its an archaeological dig funded by Historic Scotland and Steve and Martin take public tours down during the summer field season. Its a peculiar and interesting site - done a bit of work on it myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now