Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Day out in and around Brancaster (N Norfolk)

(9 Posts)
milkmoustache Tue 02-Jun-09 10:32:22

It's a big birthday for me on Thu so we are off to the seaside with DD (4) and DS (9 months). Don't know this bit of the coast at all so can anyone recommend good beaches and nice child-friendly places to eat?
(That definitely includes pubs and fish and chips on the beach - I am getting more than my share of grown-up evening meals later!)

Hassled Tue 02-Jun-09 10:41:47

Brancaster is a good starting point - Hunstanton is a nice old fashioned fish and chips on the beach sort of town - a bit shabby now, but I like shabby!

If you go East, then Holkham Beach is fantastic - huge and wide. If you've seen Shaekespeare in Love, the walking on the beach at the end scene was Holkham Beach. The Victoria pub in Holkham is great - more foody than child-friendly, but I think they have a website and you can see the menu. They certainly have a garden. And then Wells is lovely - you can go crabbing off the side of the quay, and catch a little train thing from the town to the beach itself.

If you go to Morston you can catch a boat to see the seals - well worth while. There's a very good pub in Morston - very kid friendly. Confusingly, you have to go to Blakeney (5 mins away) to get the tickets, and then Morston to get the boat - google Blakeney Seal Trips, and there are several companies who do it. Takes about an hour.

Have fun

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 10:44:20

Jasons Fish and Chips in Wells is best in town - buy some and sit on the harbour wall to eat them

clare21 Tue 02-Jun-09 21:38:42

We were up there last weekend, completely blissful. Brancaster Beach is like two completely different places - really not much beach left at high tide (by still some sand and ace large rocks to climb on) and then went its out the sea is miles away. Heavenly. We had take away pizzas from Jolly Sailors pub down the road in Brancaster Staithe - useful if you don't want to cook. Have a fab time.

clare21 Tue 02-Jun-09 21:38:56

We were up there last weekend, completely blissful. Brancaster Beach is like two completely different places - really not much beach left at high tide (by still some sand and ace large rocks to climb on) and then went its out the sea is miles away. Heavenly. We had take away pizzas from Jolly Sailors pub down the road in Brancaster Staithe - useful if you don't want to cook. Have a fab time.

clare21 Tue 02-Jun-09 21:40:59

Woops getting carried away - also Deepdale Cafe by garage in Burnham Deepdale. Fry ups from 7.30 (v recommended) then really good lunches and teas. We stayed at hostel next door (v clean and much nicer than YHA with well equipped kitchen).

Castiel Tue 02-Jun-09 21:43:00

Wells is great but Platten's fish and chips are best! spicemonster is wrong. grin

Bear in mind if you do go to Holkham, parts of it are a nudist beach.

spicemonster Tue 02-Jun-09 21:47:38

Oops, I didn't mean Jason's, I meant French's Check out the difference in the number of people using French's and Platten's and you'll see wink

SallyJayGorce Tue 02-Jun-09 21:59:26

I've been to the Victoria for lunch with all the dcs (aged 5, 3 and 9 months at the time) and they couldn't have been more welcoming. Was a real treat to eat in grown up surroundings where the children were treated so well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now