Talk

Advanced search

What's Fishguard like?

(23 Posts)
Tinker Fri 29-May-09 14:11:37

Looks nice to me but has been described as "a bit of a dump" by a snob we know.

So, what's the lowdown on Fishguard?

ilovetochat Fri 29-May-09 18:32:40

we went last year for a fortnight and we are going back in June so cant be that bad grin
It is small, there is a lovley walk down to a small harbor the one way and a walk down to Goodwick Sands and the ferry terminal the other way. There are lovley walks, at leat 3 parks including one on the beach, a sea aquarioum type place with a small soft play inside. nearby we drove to a lighthouse, a gun battlement, nearby villages and beaches. We loved it as a peaceful break. smile

Tinker Fri 29-May-09 23:52:19

Many thanks. Were you lower town or upper town? Not sure if/what the difference is.

Tinker Sat 30-May-09 10:43:21

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:01:18

we were in high town near the leisure centre with a nice swimming baths. we actually looked at a house there because we thought it would be a nice place to bring up dd but i think there is a lot of unemployment and an old lady told us the kids hang round the beach at night taking drugs. mind you we are from west mids so thats hardly shocking stuff to us grin

Tinker Sat 30-May-09 13:03:54

Oh. Well, I don't suppose we'll be hanging around teh beach at night grin. But if you were prepared to buy there it must be OK

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:24:24

we found the people very friendly and welcoming and got chatting with lots of groups on the beach. we hired a house and all the neighbours were friendly. goodwick didnt appeal to me as much, i loved low town for a walk and high town had a few shops for essentials and a supermarket. we are having the same house again, through a friend of a friend.

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 13:28:15

are you booking a holiday?

Tinker Sat 30-May-09 18:48:13

Hi, yes, it's for a holiday. It's one of the places where we found a nice cottage

ilovetochat Sat 30-May-09 20:04:12

ooh yes there are some lovely old cottages, we stay in an old 4 bed house, long and thin with the old fireplace and tiles, i love it!

Tinker Mon 01-Jun-09 22:40:17

Thanks again. Still undecided - have seen too many cottages in the area now so too hard to make a choice!

differentID Mon 01-Jun-09 22:42:49

It's very quiet, but a great base to explore north pembs.
I grew up there.

ilovetochat Tue 02-Jun-09 12:54:28

hi different, we go in 2 weeks, dp me and dd (2). can you recomend any daytrips?

differentID Tue 02-Jun-09 15:01:40

if you have a car, day up to Newport beach is well worth it- quiet village, amazing beach.

Ocean Lab down on the Parrog in Goodwick is very good if weather turns rotten- soft play, plus internet access and little cafe as well. There is a play area outside as well.

dolphins in Cardigan bay

South of the county is Tenby and near there is Folly Farm, Oakwood and Heatherton adventure park which is probably better for children older than your dd.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Tue 02-Jun-09 15:04:51

It has a brilliant name so kudos for that point.

differentID Tue 02-Jun-09 15:08:11

grin
Old Norse I believe.

ilovetochat Tue 02-Jun-09 20:05:47

we took dd to the ocean lab last year and she loved it and we saw dolphins and a small shark while we were there.
its a shame if follyfarm and oakwood are for older kids as thats the sort of thing i was thinking of.

differentID Tue 02-Jun-09 20:09:44

I meant heatherton rather than Folly farm- that's brilliant for tinies.

differentID Tue 02-Jun-09 20:12:01

Heatherton

ilovetochat Tue 02-Jun-09 20:32:00

oh thanks, dd loves animals so maybe folly farm would be good!

Takver Tue 02-Jun-09 21:17:24

Folly farm is good for little ones, there are farm animals to pet & zoo animals as well, plus indoor funfair, climbing things etc.

If you don't have a car you can get all up & down the coast on the 412 bus (goes from Haverfordwest rail station via Fishguard, Newport & up to Cardigan), plus there are summertime coastal buses that go to all the beaches (Poppit Rocket, Strumble shuttle etc)

Takver Tue 02-Jun-09 21:19:19

Also, Fishguard has perked up I would say in the last few years, some nice new cafes etc. So if your friend thought it was a dump it might be because she was there a while back.

ilovetochat Tue 02-Jun-09 21:41:31

thanks takver, we are taking th car so will def try folly farm then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now