Talk

Advanced search

Child friendly hotel in York

(18 Posts)
MummyDoIt Wed 21-Jan-09 10:21:13

I'm thinking of taking the DSs to York for a couple of days in half term. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, child-friendly hotel? We'll be going on the train so it needs to within walking distance or a bus ride of the centre.

silverfrog Wed 21-Jan-09 10:24:46

we went to york last summer (lovely place, used to live there years ago).

we stayed in a house rented from these people

not a hotel, but it was right in the centre of the town (5 mins walk from the Minster, so literally just out of the centre)

Don't know if self-catering is something you'd consider, though (we have to due to dietary issues).

wegot a last minute deal, so was quite good value too, compared to 2xhotel rooms

MummyDoIt Wed 21-Jan-09 16:15:08

They look great and I'd be tempted if I were going for longer but it's literally going to be a one-night stay. I normally go self-catering but for such a short visit, I think a hotel might be better, particularly as we're going on the train so won't be able to carry much in the way of supplies and I don't want to spend precious time away in the supermarket! Thanks anyway.

silverfrog Wed 21-Jan-09 16:22:52

oh, sorry.

I have heard there's a travelodge, but not sure whereabouts it is.

otherwise maybe a B&B? there are quite few of those centrally placed...

MummyDoIt Wed 21-Jan-09 16:27:17

B&B is a good idea. Maybe someone can recommend one of those?

silverfrog Wed 21-Jan-09 16:29:57

also. don't know how many rooms you need, but there's these people

they do stays from one night, but it is back to self catering *if they are where they think they are then it's a 5 min walk to M&S foodhall, though)

I found quite a few serviced apartments when I was looking, but none bigger than 2 bedroomed (and we needed 3)

MummyDoIt Wed 21-Jan-09 16:41:05

Oooh, they look nice! The self-catering wouldn't be a problem. We'd eat tea out, it would just be a question of getting drinks and something for breakfast, although we could always go out for breakfast too. Thanks for that.

silverfrog Wed 21-Jan-09 16:53:18

no problem

I always google serviced apartments for when we go away now - there's loads out there. It's the same principle as B&B, but so much easier, as you can come and go as you like, and don't all have to squash into one room (or worry about children being next door)

there are a few more in York, just I know thatone is central.

wrongsideof40 Wed 21-Jan-09 23:05:22

I am taking DS and DD to York at 1/2 term and we are staying at the Ramada Encore where we have stayed before - central, friendly staff - apparently can be noisy - see comments on TRip Advisor but I asked for a room at the back and had no problems . Think was £65 B&B /night.

Fimbo Wed 21-Jan-09 23:08:33

Silverfrog we stayed with them last year too! We were in 1 Turks Head Crt. The only annoying thing was the ghostwalkers as they stopped right outside it every night. We had to wait until they had gone before putting the dc to bed.

silverfrog Wed 21-Jan-09 23:17:13

we stayed inTurks Head Court too, Fimbo smile

was great for us, as we were attending a wedding at the Minster, so could give the girls lunch, then get all dressed up and just nip round the corner to the wedding.

Saved lots of faffing, and spared the logistical nightmare of trying to feed the dds when out and about (they are dairy and gluten intolerant...)

GrimmaTheNome Wed 21-Jan-09 23:18:56

DH took DD last year, think they stayed in the Novotel and that was fine.

Fimbo Wed 21-Jan-09 23:19:15

Yes fantastic location and parking a bonus too.

helsy Wed 21-Jan-09 23:23:23

The Apple House is a nice B and B with at least one family suite with 2 bedrooms. IIRC they also have swings and a slide at the back, and guinea pigs.

MummyDoIt Thu 22-Jan-09 12:25:35

Some great suggestions, thanks. I think DS2 would vote for the Apple House because of the guinea pigs. He's animal mad!

Northernlurker Thu 22-Jan-09 12:39:02

Just a few suggestions for you for things to do: (most very obvious)- railway museum, castle museum, jorvik (pre-book - big queues at 1/2 term, DIG - archaelogical adventure - quite fun, Bettys - child friendly 'posh' cafe and good food but sometimes long queues and not cheap. Walk round the walls (free!), Barley Hall - off Stonegate - reconstructed medieval house with quite a lot of childrens activities. Horse and carriage ride - catch from outside the Minster, look for grey squirrels in the museum gardens. If you are looking for toy shops for holiday spending there is an excellent one called Bubbles on Gillygate and the toy department of Fenwicks is also very good - located in the basement. At the junction of Bootham and Gillygate there is a paint your own pottery cafe called Rainbows. Have fun!

MummyDoIt Thu 22-Jan-09 17:02:07

Thanks for the tips, Northerlurker. I've been to York a few times but only ever pre-children so some of those are new to me. The DSs are train enthusiasts so the railway museum is a must and I'd like to do the Jorvik with them. I've seen it and I think they'd enjoy it. I didn't know you could pre-book so I'll definitely do that.

Northernlurker Thu 22-Jan-09 19:12:32

jorvik link here Also for train enthusiasts - you may (or may not grin) like to know that there is a very good model railway shop right next to Monkgate Bar. They always have a model railway running in the window and last time I went past they had lots of train stuff for younger people as well as the serious models.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now